Fountain pen newbie question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

clowman

I just got my first Baron fountain pen. My question is.. what is the little pump for? What does it do, what is it used for? I'd wager a guess, but I am afraid my ignorance would show.

bjackman

Sometimes called a "converter" or "ink pump" fits in place the same way the little ink cartridge would go in. Can be filled in place by dipping the FP nib into the ink bottle (all the way up to the collar) and you twist the back/black end to suck up the ink through the nib/feed. Or you can pop it off, dip it down into the ink and suck some up that way. dipping the nib is a little messier, but you have a fully "primed" nib/feed that way.

bjackman

btw, heard an interesting tidbit the other day explaining the little loose ball inside them.
On the cartridges, it's obviously there to plug up the hole until you punch it onto the nipple, but I never understood it's purpose on the converters.
It was said the little ball rolling around helps to break up the surface tension of the ink on the sidewalls and top of the converter, thus making it easier for the ink to flow from end to end and not getting stuck up on the top end.
Makes some sense, but if that's the case, why aren't they in any of the higher end/higher priced ones, even from the big boys??

clowman

Oh! I see what you are talking about! Thanks for the clarification. I sure am glad I didn't venture a guess. I was dead WRONG!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom