Fountain Pen Help Please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerryconn

I will admit that I am a total newbie when it comes to using fountain pens. I made an El Grande FP for myself to learn a little more about them by using one. I am using the nib and ink cartridge provided in the kit. From the very beginning The pen tends to skip and if I lay it down for even as little as 15-20 seconds I have work at it to get the ink flowing again. I should mention that I'm a leftie and I tend to push the tip of the nib across the page, I also tend to write in an over the top or broken wrist way, but I don't seem to do that when I'm writing with the FP. I am curious if this is a problem with the nib or if it is happening because of my writing style or could this be normal?
TIA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bjackman

Jerry,
Very often new nib/feed/converters need a little flushing to clean out manufacturing residue left. Try some gentle flushing with room temp water (you could dilute ever so slightly with some amonia if you feel the need) and see if it solves your problem.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Jerry,

I can't help you on the left handed part of the question. Usually, the El Grande nibs write very well. A couple of suggestions: First, take the pen with no ink, and doodle for 10 minutes or so on a brown paper grocery bag. This should smooth the nib to your writing style. Second, the ink in the cartridges is not quality ink, in my opinion. Use the convertor and get some quality ink. (The convertor is the thingy with the plastic screw looking thing in it. [8D]) Try Parker Quink ink, available at Staples. It is a smooth writing, very forgiving ink. Then, branch out and find what kind of ink you prefer, like Private Reserve or Noodlers.

Feel free to PM me for specific questions if you want.

Scott

Hi Jerry!

Congratulations! You care enough about your customers to learn about fountain pens and how they work, so that you can make them a pen suited to their likes. That is a good thing! And welcome to the joy of using fountain pens!

The suggestions you have received so fare are excellent. I would think that a proper flushing of the feed will cure most of your problem. Good ink will help a lot too! When I get a new pen, I like to soak the nib and feed in some cool water for a while, just to make sure the feed is wet. I do this in conjunction with a good flushing. There is no telling what debris and chemical residue may be on that new feed. I picked up a little squeeze bulb, the kind they sell to wash out childrens ears, at the pharmacy, and I use that to do the flushing. If you still have problems, you could try flossing the nib with some thin mylar. I have never had to do this, so I will refer you to the Fountain Pen Network for details. When you get to their web page, just search for "flossing" and you'll get a number of hits with good information.

I hope you enjoy your fountain pen! They put the enjoyment back into writing for me!

Scott.

Jerryconn

Thanks for the ideas guys I will give them a try and post the outcome. Cav I did read somewhere about doodling inkless on a paper bag but I only did it for 3 ro 4 minutes, when I rinse out the nib a feeder i'll doodle a little more.

Jerryconn

Ok here are the results, I got it all apart and rinsed it off with plain water. I couldn't see anything wrong with the feed. Dried everything off. Threw the original cartridge out. Doodled on the paper bag for about 8 to 10 minutes. Went to staples and picked up a bottle of Quink and loaded the converter. So far so good, the pen no longer skips and starts writing almost immediately. It is also smoother feeling on the paper, not as scratchy as before. Thanks for all the help!

Jerryconn

That's true Bill but I was getting frustrated with it not working and none of the steps were monumental as far as completing them so I just did it all. But I really like my fountain pen now [:D]!

bjackman

Jerry,
All kidding aside, I'm glad you were able to solve your flow problem, and to be honest it's often a combination of things so you were probably correct in trying various things.
For me, the El Grandes are one of my most favorite fountain pens to actually use, make and modify, so Enjoy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom