Fountain pen choice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefyter-emt

Hey guys, I have not messed around with any of th higher end pens but would like to make a nice one for myself. I want it in Rhoudium and the cap must post nicely. I would rather not put a small fortune into the kit either (like no Emperor kits) My main concern is that I don't want a "cigar pen heft" and would rather a medium sized pen. I am leaning towards the Ligero, but I like the look of the Jr. Statesman with the Jr. Gent after that. I would be pushed toward the Jr. Statesman as I like the look of that kit the best, but it looks heavy.. This will be carried in my shirt pocket daily (well work days) so I don't want an anchor in my pocket, you know?

PS, I have the Classic Elite now and like the weight & size.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

If you want a posting pen, you'll be hard pressed to beat the Jr. Gent v2 or Baron. Ligero doesn't really post (you can push it into place, but it's not really what I'd consider a "posting" pen), nor does the Jr. Statesman, nor does the Emperor for that matter. When purchasing the Baron/Jr. Gent pens, be sure to specify the threaded end. The Baron is a little bit smaller than the new Jr. Gent's, and it comes with an ink pump, if you want to use bottled inks.

emackrell

Dario, glad to hear it's your favorite.... I'd hate to think you went thru the hassle of the group buy for a pen you can't stand!![;)]

cheers Eileen[8D]

Dario

Originally posted by emackrell
<br />Dario, glad to hear it's your favorite.... I'd hate to think you went thru the hassle of the group buy for a pen you can't stand!![;)]

cheers Eileen[8D]

LOL.

FYI, I already did a bigger CSUSA group buy a bit earlier than this last one. It included Emperor, Estatesman, Gent. Jr Estatesman, Jr Gent version I and II, and all accessories for all kits.

After that, I vowed never to do it again but I wasn't strong enough to resist... [:D][}:)][;)]

Tea Clipper

If you like the Ligero, you should consider the El Grande. The El Grande is a tad lighter in weight and the cap will post. Choose the El Grande Elite for nicer band patterns. Otherwise they are virtually identical to the Ligero.

I like the Baron, however I feel it is too top heavy when I post the cap, so I don't bother to post them.

reed43

You can also use the Jr Statesman but when ordering just request a threaded end cap for the jr gent. Same size.They charge extra but well worth it in my opinion. All of my Jr statesmans sales have threaded end caps.

bjackman

Requirements:
1. FP in Rhoidium/platinum.
2. At least mid size.
3. Cap must post.
4. Lightweight as possible for daily shirtpocket use.
5. Doesn't break the bank.

El Grande in it's various iterations fit this the best.
Hands down the lightest Med to Large size FP kit. IMO (Doesn't even compare, weight wise to the big boys, Full size gents, emperors, statesmans, Seems to my hand quite a bit lighter than any or all of the mid size kits, Baron, jr gent, executive, emperor jr, etc, etc.) Do watch out for the Churchill, as it has more solid metal fittings than the EG's, if you really want to keep weight down.
Good choice of platings from BB at better than decent prices.
Not a thread-on cap poster, but it does post ok. Just gotta snug it down a little.
And, as a bonus, you already get a converter pump to use bottled ink (careful, it's very addictive, I only have two bottles here at work and two at home at the moment [;)] betcha Anthony has me beat there) And the EG feed/nib is one of the better flowing/writing of the stock/unmodified FP nib setup's, again, IMO.
When my pocket doesn't carry a 50's-60's vintage Sheaffer imperial or snorkel it houses an EG......or maybe a baron w/a calligraphy nib.......or maybe a Pelikan 250......or maybe......I better stop there [B)]

Firefyter-emt

OK, so it narrows down to the El Grande and the Jr Gent. I will look closer at the El Grande.

FYI, Paul.. The Parker style is the one I carry now, just want to jump up to a nicer pen.

Thanks again.. This is what I get when I tested that dang Parker style FP while my favorite snakewood Euro was waiting for the new rhodium kit. I got the new kit yesterday and put my snakewood back togather, and then this morning my refills for the FP came in and I brought the FP with me for work [:D]

perfectpen

I'm fairly new to the group, but I've sought the same properties in a pen that you have indicated...I think the El Grande Streamline is the absolute best capped-roller or fountain choice for medium size, light weight, and Rhodium/Platinum plating. The Streamline version has a nice cap taper, and is about the size of the Aurora Optima, a classic pen in medium dimensions.

It is also a highly customizable pen. I like to buy size 3-4 sterling silver rings to replace the stock centerbands, and I prefer to turn a cap finial that matches the body of the pen. That has the added benefit of removing the heavy cast cap finial, which is my only complaint about the stock kit. If you turn your own finial, you'll end up with a pen that is less than an ounce. Oh, and cut the cap shorter than the instructions specify...I think they say 1 7/8, but 1 3/4 is plenty (or even 1 11/16). The proportions are better and the pen is better balanced with the cap posted.

Some people consider the two diameter step-drilling for the El Grande Streamline cap to be a drawback, but I've made a couple hundred of them, and it really only takes a minute or so longer per pen...not exactly prohibitive.

-Perry

redfishsc

Just way too much black looking plastic or powdercoat on the El Grande. Don't get me wrong, it's nice, and I actually plan on buying my first one tomorrow at Woodcraft (providing they have a durable plating). But for the money, and as a personal pen, my vote goes to the Jr. Gent.

And, as a the old adage goes, "Vote, and vote often", I'll say it again, Jr. Gent!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom