Fountain pen for 15 year old

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Stevej72

A friends 15 year old son is into fountain pens. He wants me to build one for a Christmas gift with a "good quality nib". I've done some nice FPs for adults but not sure what to do for a teen. Can anyone with kids give me some suggestions on the kit and material to use. Only suggestion Kevin had was that he thought an acrylic because of the colors available.

Thank you!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mr

We did a fountain pen for our 9 year old neice. It was done on a Jr Retro and there was no problem size wise. A 15 year old should be fine on almost any FP kit. Weight wise an El Grande is pretty light if that is a concern.

Buzzzz4

Depends on how much you wish to put into it. I would do a Jr. Series with a Bock Nib. Acrylics or M3 are great or a snake skin cast if he is into that kind of thing.

AnachitlPut

Being 15 I would say that ur savest bet is acrylics. That is if he not into pen makeing ( like me I like wood better but he will love acrylic).

SteveG

I suggest you go back to your friend and get more info about the 15 yr old. If he is into FP's, what is his collection like? Perhaps there is a theme that will work. An informed choice could make the difference between a "nice" gift, and something really special.

Stevej72

Thank you all. I did talk to him and he is thinking black ebonite. Not sure that is good for a teenager as I think the black would show any scratches very easliy.

ZanderPommo

Im 18 and prefer wood, but when I pull out a pen during school and its acrylic, it tends to be snatched out of my hand and promptly passed around the classroom followed by a chain of ooos and aaahhhs.
Im talking mostly about homebrews, people love swirls, and it seems my generation has a hard time understanding than any wood is more valuable than another, in fact I cant tell you how many times I've heard the words "but its still just wood right?"

Swirls of vibrant colors have their own value, especially to those who dont understand the idea of rarity and figure in wood pens. If it catches the eye, itll go very well for you I imagine.

tim self

What an honor to supply a young person with a quality instrument. Not all teens are irresponsible and will take great care for the pen. We've all met those rare individuals. I'd also go with a Jr series and a Bock.

Top Bottom