Found a site for acrylic drilling bits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

refueler1

I was reading a post where a person was having issues drilling into acrylic blanks and thought I might search for someone that sells drill bits for acrylics and I happened across this site, www.thefabricatorssource.com/products/06drills.htm. I also submitted this site in the links page. I have read about these bits and they seem to be highly regarded for drilling clean holes in plastics and they are also reasonably priced, think I may try a couple.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
You are going to have to sharpen them one day, so why not just learn on your existing bits. There are several good detailed methods of grinding bits for plastics, on the web.;)

karlkuehn

Banned
I'm with Skippy, I turn plastics and resins all the time with my cheapo Tractor Supply indexed 'Titanium Nitride' coated (read - gold paint) set. They're not too bad new, but with a little practice, I've got them razor sharp and they always give me a clean cut if I keep the hole cleared and don't let them heat up.

Drill bits aren't terribly hard to sharpen, even freehand on a cheap grinder, it just takes some practice. Do a quick google and read a few of the results. The last thing any of us need is more 'specialized' tools! heh [:p]

refueler1

Originally posted by skiprat

You are going to have to sharpen them one day, so why not just learn on your existing bits. There are several good detailed methods of grinding bits for plastics, on the web.;)

I had no idea that acrylic drilling bits even existed until the other day when I was reading a post of someone having blowouts with their acrylic blanks. When I finally narrowed down a search I ran across the site I posted. I also found a few others that sell them as well. I agree that it shouldn't be that difficult to change the angle on an ordinary bit but I think I would rather buy them then go through the steps of regrinding tips but maybe its because I'm just lazy:D.

nava1uni

I work with acrylic sheeting making shelves and other things. I use bits that I buy from Tap Plastics here in San Francisco and they really cut a nice clean hole through acrylic material. I have tried other drill bits of many types and these bits really do a nice clean job. I don't know if Tap Plastics is national.

BruceA

Any feedback on the drill bits for acrylic blanks?

How have these worked out for you flush old retired guys that have bucks to blow on testing new "toys" like these...??

CHICAGOHAND

I have had good luck drilling acrylics while squirting a bit of water in the hole between clean outs. I use a small squirt bottle and this has seemed to help quite a bit, just thought I would share this.

Top Bottom