Football pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

EasyGreasy

I would like to make a pen for a football head. Come to think of it his head is somewhat like a football. But what I mean is that a large part of this persons brain is occupied by football. (Pittsburg Steelers and Raiders) Does anyone know of any really small logos or inlay patterns that I could incorporate into a football fanatics pen.

Cheers Greasy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Milpaul

Don't know about inlays but I made a pen for a Raider fan and used a silver and black acrylic from Bear Tooth called midnight shimmer. Then you can use a black or silver pen kit.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Jeff,

Consider an appropriately colored acrylic blank, and get Ken Nelson to laser engrave the logo. As long as it is a gift, I wouldn't think copyright infringement would be an issue, although you might want to check for sure.

fiferb

CSUSA has create a pens with a football clip. Get the right colored blank and this goes well with it. Only comes in 24k or 10k gold though.

low_48

I can't find the sheet of paper I wanted to show for this, but Michael's sells a decorative paper (about double thickness of regular paper) that looks exactly like the surface of a football or basketball. It's orange with darker brown "bumps". It's probably more like a basketball than a football. It's in the scrapbook section of the store. I never have started casting, but I think this would make a great sports pen!

andrewleeheck

I tried exactly as low 48 suggested with mixed results. A couple of useful tips:

1. Work the "paper" (which really does look more like leather than paper, as 48 said) from rigid and flat to a more pliable state by dry rolling it back and forth with the OD of the brass tube
2. Consider placing some white "stitches" over the point of overlap so as to hide the joint. I haven't come up with the miracle material to use for the stitching, but it can't be very thick because the paper is pretty thick to start with and might cause the materials to protrude beyond the bushings.

Good luck!

EasyGreasy

Wow all suggestions are good. I was thinking of a tiny probably copywrited logo. But yes if it was an exact copy then it would be illegal. The Michaels paper sounds kool. I may have to try to work with some. I do like a profile on my pens so I wonder if the paper would wrinkle. Kens laser would work too, I wonder if he can upload any artwork to put on a pen. I dont think he can do aluminum but if he could a silver pen with black infill raiders logo would be kool.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Infield grass from a chosen stadium put into acrylic with a logo..yea

Rmartin

You're not going to get Ken to use a copywrited logo. You can have it engraved with the city's name as long as the font you're using is not copywrited by the NFL.

EasyGreasy

Good point Rmartin. So I can spell Oakland Raiders without the pirate guy and am limited as to the font. Geez. I wonder if I go to the Raiders offices and ask them and show them what I am going to do with it. (they are fairly close). Probably would not work either. I wonder if it is illegal to make a pen for one of the Raiders and sell it to him. (I figure they have some money to burn). Or in true Raider fan fashon make 3 really nice pens with the good logo, have another beer with friends, make a toast to copywrite laws and hope I dont get caught.

-greasy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom