food coloring dyeing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sgimbel

I mix food coloring per the instructions on the box and was using a paper towell to apply it to the blank while it's on the lathe. I get really awful looking colors. It doesn't seem to soak in very far. Should I be soaking the blank in the solution? Which creates wet wood problems. Should I apply it right out of the little bottle to the wood? Or should I just be mixing it up stronger? Suggestions would be appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greenmtnguy

Local Chapter Leader
I use the gel from Sugarcraft. Thick and works like a charm. Very inexpensive.

AmeriColor! Soft Gel Paste coloring in a bottle
Makes coloring a breeze. Easy to use and no mess! by a company based on the old-fashioned principles of premium quality and superior service.
Sugarcraft is proud to introduce you to the strongest and most vibrant colors on the market.
AmeriColor™ is dedicated to quality products and customer satisfaction.
All colors are US Certified by the FDA.
All of the ingredients used are of the highest quality and give AmeriColor™ customers long-lasting vibrant colors every time.
Available in Avocado, Super Black, Chocolate Brown, Warm Brown, Sky Blue, Royal Blue, Navy Blue, Burgundy, (flesh tone), Gold (golden), Fuchsia, Leaf Green, Forest Green, Mint Green, Ivory, Maroon, Mauve, Orange, Peach, Deep Pink, Soft Pink, Regal Purple, Red Red, Super Red, Christmas Red, Tulip Red, Holiday Red, Dusty Rose, Terra-cotta, Turquoise, Teal, Violet, Egg Yellow, Lemon Yellow
Ingredients: water, sugar, may contain one of the following US certified color red 40, red 2, yellow 5 blue 1 & 2, or titanium dioxide, modified corn starch, vegetable gum, citric acid and less than 1/10 of 1% sodiumbenzoate, and potassium sorbate as preservatives.
Kosher Certificate - Color Chart
AmeriColor 3/4 oz $1.39 ea. squeeze bottle with flip top cap

Last edited:

Ray McLeod

I agree with the comment, I use a shop towel folded to about a 1/2 inch, place dye on the tip of the shop towel and with the lathe running run it evenly across the wood...It dries pretty fast with the lathe running and you can apply as much as needed to get the depth of color you are looking for. I have experimented with the colors to get Florida State, Florida, and Auburn colors as well as a couple of local schools.

mick

I use the gel from Sugarcraft. Thick and works like a charm. Very inexpensive.

AmeriColor! Soft Gel Paste coloring in a bottle
Makes coloring a breeze. Easy to use and no mess! by a company based on the old-fashioned principles of premium quality and superior service.
Sugarcraft is proud to introduce you to the strongest and most vibrant colors on the market.
AmeriColor™ is dedicated to quality products and customer satisfaction.
All colors are US Certified by the FDA.
All of the ingredients used are of the highest quality and give AmeriColor™ customers long-lasting vibrant colors every time.
Available in Avocado, Super Black, Chocolate Brown, Warm Brown, Sky Blue, Royal Blue, Navy Blue, Burgundy, (flesh tone), Gold (golden), Fuchsia, Leaf Green, Forest Green, Mint Green, Ivory, Maroon, Mauve, Orange, Peach, Deep Pink, Soft Pink, Regal Purple, Red Red, Super Red, Christmas Red, Tulip Red, Holiday Red, Dusty Rose, Terra-cotta, Turquoise, Teal, Violet, Egg Yellow, Lemon Yellow
Ingredients: water, sugar, may contain one of the following US certified color red 40, red 2, yellow 5 blue 1 & 2, or titanium dioxide, modified corn starch, vegetable gum, citric acid and less than 1/10 of 1% sodiumbenzoate, and potassium sorbate as preservatives.
Kosher Certificate - Color Chart
AmeriColor 3/4 oz $1.39 ea. squeeze bottle with flip top cap

Alton how long do this need to dry before a CA finish?

Mark

I apply it straight out of the bottle using a folded paper towel. Two coats and I go back and dab the heavy grained areas if needed.

I'll be looking for the gel form after I've used up all the liquid stuff I've collected. Thanks for the tip...

rherrell

I just use the McCormicks brand at the grocery store. I do ALL of my sanding first and then apply it straight from the little bottle with the lathe off, using a paper towel. After it dries I burnish it with a piece of brown paper bag with the lathe on, DON"T sand it after you dye it.
If done ALOT of pens this way and in my opinion Curly Maple is the best type wood to use. Here's a few MagLites done this way in Curly Maple........

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I use a CA finish on top and have never had any problems. BUT.... if you sand your CA finish be careful not to sand through or you'll get a white spot and you'll have to remove everything and start over. The color doesn't penetrate very deep so it's real easy to sand through it.:wink:

Attachments

• flashlight.jpg
    flashlight.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,003
  • flashlight 013.jpg
    flashlight 013.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 855
  • mags.jpg
    mags.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 1,196

fernhills

I use the stuff made for wood Aniline dye. I Apply it just like Rick does. Apply the c/a on top, after one coat of C/A there is no problems with it coming off. Mixes with warm water, or DNA. If you mix with DNA you can then use several mediums to mix with it. It looks great with curly Maple, but it looks outstanding with spalted wood, even just the lightly spalted wood that would look just so so. Dye it and it really pops it. Carl

Last edited:

greenmtnguy

Local Chapter Leader
With the gel, I apply it with a paper towel with the lathe running, wipe the excess off until the towel stays clean and go ahead and apply CA. Works very fast being a gel. Not much moisture to worry about. I put 6 or 7 coats of medium CA on relatively heavy and then it is possible to sand with 400 grit without going into the dye. works best with varying density woods-curly Maple, big leaf Maple, Box Elder burl.

BryanJon

Aniline dyes, imho, are the best for curly maple. It really makes the wood pop when finished.
You could also do a double stain process with aniline dyes. By this I mean, stain the wood,with a base color, after you have it sanded up 400 or so. Once the initial color has dried, sand it out with 400, clean the dust off with alcohol, and apply a second complimentary color. Once dried finish as you normally would.

Top Bottom