Flying with pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dow

I'm not sure where this should go, so the moderators can put it wherever they think best.

Has anybody flown with a bunch of pens? I have to go to our corporate office next week, and will be flying on American. I'm concerned that the scanner guys may have a problem with my pens because of the metal tubes.

thoughts?

Thanks,
Dow

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dow

Well, that sounds good. I use the pen rolls, and was planning on taking one of them with me to show around at corporate.

Has anyone had a problem with carrying them on?

Pioneerpens

Pens will be no problem, just don't take any bullet cartridge pens...any replica or real ammo or weapons can't go through the checkpoint...all will be fine in your checked luggage.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
It depends!

Which security officer you get and how you approach it and how many pens you are carrying.

I have travelled to the Washington DC pen show twice with several hundred pens in my carry-on and, yes, there have been a handful of casing pens. The Xray shows lots of pens, of course. The security guy asks, I answer---Pen show in DC, I'm an exhibitor. "Can you write with one?" I reply--you pick it, I'll write with it.

Once I actually wrote with one, the other time, he just said, "Good luck at the show!!"

Moral: carry enough pens that it is obvious you make pens. And don't get too clever with the security guys--you know you are "out of the ordinary", so don't tick him off!!!

IF he asks why you are carrying them on, instead of checking them, I have answered, "No insurance in the world would give me the value of these, on a claim--its several thousand dollars worth of pens--I like having them where I can watch them". That reply will "Fly", (pun intended)!!

Crashmph

I am with Ed on this one. I just flew home from DC for a family reunion in Texas. I have an antique briefcase my dad used to carry that I have modified to hold about 200 pens. I had the case nearly full and got a lot of odd looks from the scanner people. When asked do the write, like Ed I said pick one. Lucky me they picked a fountain pen with no ink in it. A little explaining got me through it. I also had several Bullet pens in my case as well (308, 44 mag, 50 cal, etc). Just have at least a few dozen to cover your reasoning that you are a "pen turner".

This would also help out if we had membership cards for IAP.

titan2

I am with Ed on this one. I just flew home from DC for a family reunion in Texas. I have an antique briefcase my dad used to carry that I have modified to hold about 200 pens. I had the case nearly full and got a lot of odd looks from the scanner people. When asked do the write, like Ed I said pick one. Lucky me they picked a fountain pen with no ink in it. A little explaining got me through it. I also had several Bullet pens in my case as well (308, 44 mag, 50 cal, etc). Just have at least a few dozen to cover your reasoning that you are a "pen turner".

This would also help out if we had membership cards for IAP.

Even a supply of your own business cards would help.....

Barney

Pioneerpens

it will help with a large amount of pens, but again...it is written that NO replica ammuntion or weapons may go...It is ultimately up to the Security officer operating the x-ray machine...But if he/she is doing their job correctly they will not let it go...and they shouldn't....so if you lose a cartridge pen that way...knowing that it is a prohibited item..well, there ya go

dow

Thanks for all of the advice. I was only planning on taking one roll of pens (18), and I don't make cartridge pens. I'll be sure to have some cards handy as well.

KenBrasier

I've flown with numerous pens in my carry-on, but typically put Bullet/Cartriage pens in my checked luggage. Once on returning I forgot I had a couple of 30.06 Bullet Pens in my sportcoat, but once I showed they were pens and the wrote, I had no problem.

I believe it is pretty much up to the TSA people as to how difficult they will be. A good attitude always seemed to help me.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
it will help with a large amount of pens, but again...it is written that NO replica ammuntion or weapons may go...It is ultimately up to the Security officer operating the x-ray machine...But if he/she is doing their job correctly they will not let it go...and they shouldn't....so if you lose a cartridge pen that way...knowing that it is a prohibited item..well, there ya go

Most of the casing pens I've seen would not be mistaken for replica ammunition. I think in general they're modified enough that they no longer look real but I'd still leave them home..

My approach would be to put the pens in a carrying case, there are no prohibition against carrying pens on an air line flights.

monophoto

Done it many times. Worst case is that the inspectors will see curious shadows on their x-ray machine and will want to take a closer look. Then they stare at you and smirk.

beck3906

I'm fly frequently on American Airlines and often fly with pens or kits and tubes to work on when I am at my hotel. I'm often hand checked and then passed through. I also carry my pens and expensive kits in my carry-on. It's a lot of fun when I carry about 50 kits and glued tubes. Be prepared to wait while they swab and check the tests. Sometimes I wonder what TSA thinks the bags are for when they begin their search.

My only problem was I once forgot and threw a round file into my carry-on once. It was longer than the allowable length and I had to leave it at the checkpoint. I was offered an opportunity to take it back to my car but it wasn't worth the time for a $5.00 file that was worn anyway.

Top Bottom