Fly-apart Jr Gent, now what?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

emackrell

Had a surprising thing happen with a Jr Gent I was assembling last night. Top went together no problem. But on the lower half of the pen, when I screwed the nib onto the coupler after inserting the refill, the end cap and its coupler popped right out of the tube. They won't stay in with the refill in. Since it's a fairly high-end kit and the first one of them I've done, it's more likely that I gooned it up vice having a defective kit -- I just can't figure out how. Anyone else ever had this happen with a Jr Gent? And is there any reason why I shouldn't just glue the end cap coupler into the tube?

Yrs in puzzlement Eileen [?][?]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tea Clipper

You shouldn't glue the coupler to the tube just in case later on down the road you might need to disassemble it. I would suggest that you just put a thin bead of CA around the inside of the tube and then let that dry. This will add a layer of thickness that will hold the parts together when you press them in again.

Randy_

Originally posted by emackrell
<br />.....is there any reason why I shouldn't just glue the end cap coupler into the tube.....

Yeah, it happens and not just to the Jr Gents. The kit is probably off a little; but it could also be caused by reaming the tube a little too much when removing glue.

Go ahead and glue the coupler and the finial. Epoxy or Loctite are the preferred adhesives. You can use CA; but you need to be careful. The fumes can mess up the finish if you put the pen in a closed package before it is fully cured. Use a very tiny amount of CA on the end of a toothpick....much less than one drop....and rub the glue around the inside of the tube. "DO NOT" put any glue on the finial or the coupler or it may squeeze out and ruin the finish. Let the glue cure for a day or two in the open before putting the pen away for storage.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Before you blame the kit I would check the end of your pen mill or the technique you use when milling.
If the blank is not perpendicular to the shaft of the mill,the end of the mill could scar the brass tube thus enlarging it.Steel is harder than brass.
Also check to se if there is any CA build up on the end of the shaft of the mill,this could also enlarge the hole before the friction melts it.
As a rule I have not found a need to glue components in.When I have I can attribute it to perator error.
LAstly.IF you have aneed to use CA to glue a component in put a DROP in the tube with the tip of a tooth pick, you won't need much.
Wait at least 12 hours for the glue to set and "FUME OUT"
CA will "bloom" and leave a white residue on the components if you don't wait.Most of the time it wipes off but it has melted plastic parts on me.

Dario

Something similar happened to me but with a Baron and on the clip/upper part. I did CA it on but should have not. Building inside the tube with thin CA is a better idea.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Dario
<br />Something similar happened to me but with a Baron and on the clip/upper part. I did CA it on but should have not. Building inside the tube with thin CA is a better idea.
Too much of a build up inside the tube can cause the blank to split when assembling.
There was a thread on this subject a few days ago and a suggestion was to use Loctite.
I would go that route.
(First I woiuld find out Why the components didn't fit.)

mewell

I've found the same problem on the Jr Gents... Since I dont use a pen mill I suspect that the parts are 'off' slightly. I appreciate the tip about building up a layer of CA in lieu of actually glueing the part in, tho'.

Mark

gerryr

I had the same trouble with a Baron and, at Frank's suggestion, tried "blue" Loctite. It works and, if necessary, I can still take it apart.

alamocdc

Another word of caution in applying a thin coat of CA inside the tube. If your "coat" isn't perfectly uniform, it will throw your concentricity off making the part and the blank not flush all the way around. In other words, the coupler ring will be proud on one side and the blank proud on the other.

redfishsc

Has anyone tried using some aluminum foil wrapped around the male part before pressing it in? I thought of this once on an American kit that gave me the same fit, but I was at the shop and didn't have any foil.

Draken

Originally posted by redfishsc
<br />Has anyone tried using some aluminum foil wrapped around the male part before pressing it in? I thought of this once on an American kit that gave me the same fit, but I was at the shop and didn't have any foil.

You could try it, but hope the customer never sees it, or your reputation would take a big hit, IMO. Better off using one of the suggestions given here, such as CA build up in the tube, which won't be noticed should the part come loose again.

Cheers,
Draken

emackrell

Thanks all, I'll try the Loctite. Gotta admit I was a mite surprised to see the end cap shoot across the room. Glad to hear the same thing has happened to others. As for why it doesn't fit, as I said, my money is on operator error, but I didn't use a pen mill so that ain't it.... will just have to try a science experiment and vary the process by one operation with each kit till I figure it out!

cheers Eileen [8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom