Flush Finish With Nib and Center Ring

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Allsmiles

Hi, I am just starting out and have only made a few pens. I am having a problem with the final fit and finish.

After I have turned the blank flush to the bushing, I am applying a CA finish. I don't think I am applying to much CA based on all the videos I have watched. Usually 5 coats of medium CA

Once assembled, the polished pen blank is no longer flush with the nib or center ring. There is a slight lip.

Do I need to be sanding slightly past the bushing to achieve a final flush finish?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

renowb

I ususally bring my sandpaper past the blank and onto the bushing, just to get a good sanding to the end. I'm sure more people will chime in with their processes.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
short answer--yes
longer answer-- the finish you are putting on to protect the wood is a build up of layers of CA(essentailly a coat of plastic) those layers, while thin, will increase the diameter of your barrel slightly and that is most likely what you are feeling. Best option is to use a set of calipers to match the finished barrel to the hardware being used.

Brooks803

Yes. You want to start with the blank a hair under the bushing and then build up to size with ca. Also get yourself a caliper and check your blanks final diameter to the actual part. Don't rely on bushings bc they wont always match the kit parts perfectly.

Rangertrek

You can also use a set of drafting needle dividers to do a spot check on the parts, bushings, and your blank. Then verify with the calipers. I have found I can get very good results with just the dividers.

Top Bottom