Florida/Georgia Pen Gathering

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bubba57

I recently saw the Florida/Georgia Pen Gathering referenced in one of the forums and, curious, I clicked on the link. Not a lot of info for someone new to pen turning. It's being held at a WoodCraft store so the cynic in me says it's just a way to lure innocent victims in to make random, unnecessary purchases. Would someone familiar with such things clue me in as to what 'Gatherings' are? Would it be worth a 300 mile round trip and overnight stay? Any information would be helpful.
Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I've made 300 mile trek to the MPG when it was held in Campaign, IL and the 500 mile trek to Richmond Va. for the MAPG multiple times. I go to both as often as I can. The Fl/GA Gathering is new this year but I would not hesitate to go to that one either.

A Gathering is an event where various demonstrators show and share their knowledge and techniques. It is very educational for both newer and seasoned penturners. In addition to all of the Demos there are contests, prizes and vendors. The Vendors all bring some good deals and it is nice to meet the people that you do business with. That being said, a Gathering is NOT a sales ploy to get you into a Woodcraft Store.

Here are some inks concerning prior year MPGs and MAPGs. maybe you can get a better feel for what they are by glancing them over.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f223/
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f252/
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f206/
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f175/

Check the links on the front page for the up to date information on the upcoming events.

Last edited:

Curly

If you look at the top of the site home page there are 2 other gatherings in addition to this one. Marla and I flew to the MAPG 2 years ago (2014) from the west coast of Canada and enjoyed it immensely. So driving 300 miles to a gathering would be a no brainer for me. You might also find that there is another member or two in your area going that you can carpool with to make that drive there and back more enjoyable.

The reason for siting at Woodcraft is that they have seminar rooms and a lathe or two in them for demonstrations. They offer the space for the gathering at no or minimum charge and that goes a long way towards having the meeting at little to no cost to you. They also offer a discount to you if you want to buy while there. There is no demands or pressure to buy anything from them or the vendors that have tables there.

You should go to meet other pen turners, learn from the seminars, and perhaps get a door prise or two that have been donated by Woodcraft, vendors, and by generous members.

Mike is a bit quicker than I on the keyboard.:)

Last edited:

Bubba57

Another Question...

...if I may:

Is there a 'swap-meet' component to these gatherings? Is 'horse trading' encouraged? Discouraged?

pianomanpj

I'm planning on going to the Florida/Georgia Penturners Gathering as well. I'll be coming in from Maine - not a bad time of year to get outta Dodge for a little while! There oughtta be a prize for the gathering attendee that traveled the farthest. I probably wouldn't win, but you never know... :rolleyes:

low_48

I recently saw the Florida/Georgia Pen Gathering referenced in one of the forums and, curious, I clicked on the link. Not a lot of info for someone new to pen turning. It's being held at a WoodCraft store so the cynic in me says it's just a way to lure innocent victims in to make random, unnecessary purchases. Would someone familiar with such things clue me in as to what 'Gatherings' are? Would it be worth a 300 mile round trip and overnight stay? Any information would be helpful.
Thanks!

If you are concerned with controlling your spending, leave your folding money at home. BUT YOU WILL REGRET IT. These gatherings are a lot more than commerce. It's really about sharing information and gaining friendships with a great group of like minded people.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
The other big advantage for having these at Woodcraft stores is that they have insurance and provide the space at no charge. It enables the MAPG to run with no admission fee. I do encourage attendees to support the store but hopefully it is a win win situation. They do let other vendors sell during the show. We haven't had a formal swap but horse trading definitely happens. Also in the last three years we have given over $7000 in door prizes, mostly donated by the same generous vendors that support IAP.

Bubba57

@ Low 48

I seldom try to control my spending...if I do it just accumulates around the house and creates a fire hazard. I do like the sharing of info that you mentioned...of course I'm so new it'll be pretty one sided. Hope nobody minds. Be also nice to meet some of the folks I've been reading online.

Last edited:

Bubba57

The other big advantage for having these at Woodcraft stores is that they have insurance and provide the space at no charge. It enables the MAPG to run with no admission fee. I do encourage attendees to support the store but hopefully it is a win win situation. They do let other vendors sell during the show. We haven't had a formal swap but horse trading definitely happens. Also in the last three years we have given over $7000 in door prizes, mostly donated by the same generous vendors that support IAP.
I can understand the rational of having it at WoodCraft. I guess, having spent a half century in the 'Gunshine' state...land of the 'suck the tourists dry and send 'em back north'...I'm a bit of a cynic anytime a business gets involved.
Thanks for the info!

ladycop322

Bubba57,

I am the person planning the FLGAPG in February next year. I understand your concern, however, the lack of information is due to the fact that I had to wait on Woodcraft to confirm the dates to use their store. They were moving to a different location and I had no choice but to wait. I finally confirmed a couple of weeks ago. There is a Facebook Page as well where most of the information is being placed. You can periodically check the website, flgapg.com.

I am getting assistance from other turners on the forum, but due to this being my first year planning an event of this caliber, volunteers and assistance are slim. I am open to any suggestions you may have.

As of now, I have four demonstrators, myself (watch parts blanks), Jonathan Brooks (kitless and fountain pen maintenance), Jim Swank (casting bottle caps and stamps), and maybe Seamus Rooney (snakeskin). I am open to any other demonstrators if anyone is interested. There will also be a couple (so far) vendors. Jonathan Brooks (Brooks Blanks), Jon David Jones (Signature Pen Supply) (maybe selling kits) so far. I am in need of more vendors.

There will be door prizes. I have a handful of members and businesses donating blanks, kits, etc. for this. We will have a 'Show Off Your Pens' segment, a show and tell, so to speak.

I am also going to have a 'Pen Swap'. So if you come, bring a pen that you would like to submit. Each pen will be numbered and you will choose the pen that corresponds with the number you choose from a bowl.

Again, I know it isn't much, but a recent survey showed that those who wish to attend, would just be okay with the fact that they are getting together with other turners to discuss the hobby and learn from one another.

I can tell you I flew from Southeast Florida to Richmond, Virginia two years ago for the MAPG. I was a new turner and so glad I attended. I felt welcomed from the moment I registered to the moment the event ended. I spent over $300 in the store and also money on items the vendors brought. Again, I was happy to have spent the money on the tools I needed. These tools have brought me the revenue back tenfold!

There was no intention on using the store to lure people in to spend their money and send them home. That is ludicrous! We are all family here. I consider some on this forum true family. I have made close friends and also traveled to Tennessee and Georgia to stay at the homes of these members. They were very welcoming and courteous.....(you know who you are)!

I hope you can make it so you can truly see the 'family' we are! You won't regret it....

In the meantime, please keep checking with the Facebook page and the website for changes. Be patient, I'm only one person.

Thank you and have a great Thanksgiving!

Michelle F.
ladycop322

Charlie_W

Bubba,
Everything that has been said is true. I have had the opportunity to attend MAPG all three years it has been held. Even though we are about 2.5 hours away, Wifey and I go ahead and get a hotel and come early. It is nice to have time to visit with pen turning friends before the scheduled events.
In these three years, lunch has been brought in or you can go out to lunch with some new friends.

Last year, I had a demo segment. It was a lot of fun sharing some of the tips and techniques I have learned.....mostly from our IAP family.
We did have a pen swap one time and a blank swap too. The pen contests are a lot of fun too.
Not sure if the IAP Collection of pens is coming to Florida but if so, it is an inspiring group of pens to see.

If you are into pen turning, you should seriously consider attending.

Last edited:

TonyL

All, I am helping Michelle with the gathering. Please feel free to direct inquiries to me as well. I will share them with Michelle. As more information/details become available we will share and post on the website. This is an inaugural event for us (this location and group of organizers) and we are trying our best emulate what the other successful and more "mature" events have done. If you are looking to meet nice folks, share your expertise, and possibly learn something that you didn't know before, there is good chance that we will have a good time.

Hope to see you there!

roddesigner

According to their latest flyer the new address is

2864 Roosevelt Blvd.
Clearwater Fl. 33760,
it is really a short distance from their old location only a short time off the interstate or hwy. 19 when I spoke with one of the employees some time ago he said a much better location and set up.

Bubba57

According to their latest flyer the new address is

2864 Roosevelt Blvd.
Clearwater Fl. 33760,
it is really a short distance from their old location only a short time off the interstate or hwy. 19 when I spoke with one of the employees some time ago he said a much better location and set up.
Thanks John. That's the address on the FLGAPG website but when I checked WoodCrafts site they had it on Hwy 19. Thanks for the clarification.

Top Bottom