flat top pen instructions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

coyote

Hey guys, I have not yet hat a chance to turn a flat top kit yet. So I went ahead and bought one to try it out. I was wondering how you would load it up on the mandrel? The larger od bushing goes on first, got that, then the blank. The instructions show that the first blank has part of the brass tube exposed? Then the next bushing has 3 steps to it. Thats where I get lost. The bushings seem to push the brass tubes out of the blanks. How do you turn the blanks to the bushings if they do not touch the bushing? Yeah, like I said its my first try, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Danny

Texatdurango

If this is the same "flat top" I used to make, you use a parting tool to part off the end of one of the blanks all the way down to the bare brass tube so the centerband will fit over it. Take your centerband and place it over the brass tube and see if it doesn't fit snugly.

airrat

Danny if it is a Berea kit, you can get the full instructions on AZ silhouette's page.

http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/Pen_Kit_Instructions.htm
look for Flattop on the left side. Almost all the way down.

You turn the blank to the bushing then with a parting tool you clean off the one end for the centerband. "Measure 1 13/16†from the cap clip end and mark. With a sharp parting tool remove the wood all the way to the brass tube and all the way to the end of the tube, on the cap center band end. This will receive the center band of your pen. Your cap blank should then have 1 13/16†of finished wood and the rest should be bare brass tube. " quoted off the site

from my experience of turning alot of these, make sure your centerband is slightly loose. Basically test fit it. I turn these for some Rotary club members and if it is too tight and has to be pressed on you get crimping issues. Your twist transmission will not work properly. When I use the parting tool I shave off a tiny bit of the brass and make sure there is no glue left on it. Then I test fit it (I can put it on by hand and twist it till its on) and sand it more if I need to. Since I started doing this I have not any crimping. When putting together I use a tiny amount of CA to secure the centerband.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom