Flat top American-Stiff twist mechanism

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've only made 4 Flat top Americans, the first 2 worked fine. The last 2 however are very stiff to twist and seem to make a grating noise like the brass is rubbing somewhere. Any ideas?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Ratehr than go into a lengthy explanation,this was covered earlier in another post.
Take a Look athe Woodcraft site,Their instructions on the American Classic explain how to assemble their pen.
It is the same as the "flattop"
One step instructs you to put the top on the pen to check for "fit" before "pressing" it home.
My guess is obstuction or maishapen top tube.

Thumbs

<b>Eagle</b> or <b>Jeff</b>, for everybody's illumination - Is there a good or recommended way to disassemble these? I have a 50% ratio of these with the same problem! [B)] Not really very many, but not a good enough percentage to encourage much further use of this kit![xx(]

[:)]TIA![:)]

driften

The bottom blank is easy to disassemble, the top would be harder. To disassemble the top you have to make some sort of puller to screw into it and provide leverage to extract the parts.

The main place people get into trouble is making the bottom blank too think at the top bushing where the center band extends over. If that is where your problem is you can just dissemble the bottom and adjust the blanks shape.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
IIRC
The top stud is a metric thread and I believe it a a 4 or 6
Get thee to a hardware sore and purchase a small bolt that will fit the threads.You may as well pick up a tap too.Get that bolt about an 1&1/2 inches long and a washer and nut to fit it.
drill a hole in a block-of wood the size of for the tube but don't glue the tube in it.
Then as driften said use it like you would a gear puller.
Put the washer and nut on the bolt, slide them trough the bock of wood and then screw that into the stud.Here's where the tap may come in.
The threads in Te AC pen from Woodcraft would not allow the bolt to go in afar enough to get a bite.
If this is the case, retap Te hole in the stud.
Put the assembly back in again and snug the nut up to the washer.Make sure the hole in the block is centered over the stud.Now as you continue to tighten up the nut you will pull the whole assembly out of the pen.
Here, you have a choice.
I have not had much luck reusing the transmission and have purchased replacements but I hated this kit so much because of this problem I stopped making them.(I think I may still have a few hanging around.)
It's too bad because it is a traditional kit and good looking for those who like a Parker Style pen.
It is for this reason I switched to the perfect fit and never looked back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom