Flat or round?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rmartin

I use a round nosed skew from start to finish. I sometimes use a straight edged skew for detail and bead work. But my question doesn't have anything to do with the point of the tool, rather the shape of the tool which rests on the tool bar.

My favorite tool is one that has a flat profile. The thing is, it seems my more expensive tools have a round profile. Is this just a preference issue, or a something else? Is the flat tool a training wheels tool? If I want to grow up to be a real turner, do I need to learn how to use a tool with a round profile where it rests on the tool bar?

Which type of tool do you prefer?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LEAP

I think it is more a personal preference thing more than anything else. I prefer the rounded edges as they are less likely to catch on ony nicks in the tool rest and it allows me a better control when rolling a bead or cove.

Skye

I like flat. Round ones are made to be used while turned into the cut. Scrapers just lay flat, you don't have to be as skilled to use them, so I like them, LOL

jskeen

If I understand correctly (and I may not) a skew chisel is primarily intended to be used with the cutting edge raised up at an angle to the rest and also with the length of the tool at a fairly acute angle to the axis of the workpiece. In this orientation, a square skew is actually riding on the toolrest on one corner, making it very easy to snag in very small dents (or bumps of ca) on the toolrest. An oval skew lessens this tendancy.

I was told (don't know, but it makes sense) that if you are laying a skew flat on the toolrest, with the edge parallel to the workpiece, that you are actually scraping, not cutting, and that the double bevel of the skew means that you are using a unsupported cutting edge, which dulls very quickly. A flat scraper with an edge ground in the shape of a 7 instead of > is better suited for this and will stay sharp longer. After I got a decent oval skew, I took my old 1 inch square skew and reprofiled it to the 7 shaped edge, and verified that yes, it will scrape much longer than the > grind.

I started out with my new flat scraper ground to 90 degrees like this ] (seen from the top. corners caught a lot, then I added a mild curve like this). too small a contact area, so I compromised, and ground the middle 3/4 flat, and put a 1/8 radius on each corner. Worked pretty well, but I find that I reach for it less and less now.

randyrls

In this orientation, a square skew is actually riding on the toolrest on one corner, making it very easy to snag in very small dents (or bumps of ca) on the toolrest. An oval skew lessens this tendancy.

To join the thread: I use both flat and Sorby Oval Skews. I always "break" the sharp corners on the flat skews. If you are "riding the bevel" like you should, the corner of the skew is riding on the tool rest. This tends to put small notches or cut lines in the tool rest. After all, the tool rest is cast iron or steel and the skew is HSS or carbon steel.
You can use a flat skew in a shearing cut, but you have to raise the tool rest quite a bit above center.

Rmartin

Just to be clear, this picture shows the surface area I'm asking about:

Attachments

• example.jpg
    example.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 91

Chasper

The tools you show are a round nose scraper and an oval skew. The arrow is pointing to the bottom of the scraper and that is the side that rides on the tool rest when in use and yes it does need to be flat when in use. I don't think that many, if any, turners round the corners of the scraper.

The narrow edge of the oval skew is intended to ride the tool rest. I often use an old skew as a scraper to level out the highs and lows, and I think that jskeen's idea about shaping it like a 7 instead of the standard > is a good one. I used the oval scraper almost exclusively for the first few years I turned pens, then I came here and read about turners having love affairs with their skews. Now I'm almost exclusively a skew user. Learn to use it, you might be very happy that you did.

Fred

Chasper says, "I don't think that many, if any, turners round the corners of the scraper." Well, neither do I and I doubt that many here would go to the trouble when they are made with rounded over edges.

I reiterate as the above folks have said ... the chances of a snag on a roughed up tool rest are greatly enhanced by the square edged tool.

The rounded edge skew seems to give me a lot better control whenever I need to change the angle of the cutting edge to the wood being turned.

I also use a 12" rounded tool rest and that really assists me when turning. I found long ago that the flat tool rest just 'wasn't for me.' I spend a bit of time each turning session in keeping my tool rest as smooth as possible. My random orbital sanded does the job in seconds and I have a smooth as a baby's butt tool rest.

Things like dried finishes and CA glue cause major 'bumps' when moving up and down the tool rest ... so why give the tool chance to 'catch' in the first place! Problems always follow the catch and for me tend to happen just as I get to the very last stroke ... Murphy's Law maybe? :cool:

leehljp

Member Liaison
On a couple of my most used "flat" chisels, I "rounded" the edges a tad. they are about equal to a 1/8 in round over and that helped considerably. I have three "rounded" chisels that I use often too. I prefer those as they do slide easier.

One of the problems with the squares is that the edges sometimes put little nicks in the tool rest if I am not careful.

BruceA

Skew profile, Tool Rest

Here are pictures of an Alan Lacer skew, straight from him before I turned a blank. Notice how he designed it with a curved bottom and a flat top, and the curved profile.

The curved bottom edge is usually the surface riding the tool rest, and there are no edges to catch. The top is flat because it's meant to be turned over and rested on the tool rest for slicing directly into the blank for straight lines.

The 6" Comfort Tool rest is something I just ordered and should receive this week. The picture shows their 9", 6", and 4" versions. It has a stainless steel rod epoxied at the top, and should prove practically nickless and catch-free.

From the website: "Our original Comfort Rest, Low Profile Rest and Mini Rest feature a 1/4" hardened steel rod on the top surface that provides a smooth surface that won't nick, ding or ever need filing.

The hardened rod is epoxy bedded and is fully guaranteed. If a rod ever comes loose, we'll repair or exchange your damaged rest at no charge."

The 6" is $49.

Attachments

• Comfort Rests.jpg
    Comfort Rests.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 60
  • Tip Up Full Length small.jpg
    Tip Up Full Length small.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Round Top Facing small.jpg
    Round Top Facing small.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 60
  • Tip Down small.jpg
    Tip Down small.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 63

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
There are no definitive answers to these questions because our answer depends on how we use the tool.

The sharp edge of the skew cuts the wood. The rest of the tool is there to support the edge. Whether it is round, square, or oval is a personal preference and a lot of what we get used to using.

If most woodturners don't round the edges on their scrapers, they should. A scraper cuts best when it is rolled up so the edge is presented at a shearing angle to the wood. That puts the corner of the tool on the rest and it doesn't move very easily unless it is rounded.

Top Bottom