Flap Sander Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

At some suggestions here I tried the flap sander like this one without experiencing the amazing results others here seem to enjoy. Is this the wrong type tool, or should I be using something more along this line?

The first one just sort of scratched the surface of the corners -- not really removing much stock in spite of using quite a bit of pressure.

Well, I'm surprised that you haven't found the couple of threads I have dedicated to the Flap "disk system" if that is what you want to try, be my guest, you won't regret however, you will enter the group of flap disk users something that seems to be an issue for some other members here so, I'm glad you were the one to ask, I've been accused of "shaving" this method into people throats, as if I had any monetary interest when in reality, I don't.

If you want to know what I'm on about, just hang around and keep mentioning the system after you have used it and got used to it, I always like to know but some people doesn't like to see it mentioned...!

By the way, if you are new to wood/pen-turning, the flap disk system, is not a replacement for the traditional cutting tools called gouges, you should be familiar with them and learn how to keep them sharp, the flap disk system is just a handy thing to have and know how to use, to handle those fragile and difficult blanks to work with, blowouts with the flap disk system on those type blanks is, 99,99% efficient, with gouges, it depends of how good you are, some people have 50% failure (blowouts) rate and others claim to blow every fragile or difficult blanks they try, and those off-course in between the zig and the zag...!

The second option on your question, is the correct one, 36 or 40 grits are reccomended as the cutting disc, you can use also the 100 grit after the 40 grit, either by replacing the disc or having 2 dedicated low cost 4" grinders, each one with one of the grits mentioned...!

My main thread about the issue is this

Let us know how you go, and best of luck...!

Disclaimer: This post/answer is meant to be educative and supportive of the OP request/intentions, all the info provided is targeted to give the OP a clear and detailed response based on his observations, they are true and correct and serve no other intent...!:)

Cheers
George

wyone

The second type is what I use and it works AWESOME with difficult or delicate materials. Pressure is the trick.. do NOT use too much pressure.. just like a lathe chisel a light touch is the best I have found. Oh and it is a bit messier as it makes a very fine dust, so make sure your dust collector is on and you use the appropriate respiratory protection. :)

Edward Cypher

I agree with George if it gets the job done who cares who it was done. Once there is a finished project (pen) no one asks how it was turned or with which tool. We have some people like that in the Denver Club who do not think pen turning is even turning. Sorry to hijack this thread. But if a flap disc works go for it especially it you spent a lot of money on the blank.

Top Bottom