Flamingo ideas needed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DFerguson777

I have a client that wants a pen that is "like a flamingo". Anyone ever made a flamingo pen? They want to go beyond just a pinkish blank.

Thanks for any ideas.

-Denny- NC

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DFerguson777

workinforwood

That blank will not just blow up unless you abuse it, and it will be far cooler looking when it is spun out than it looks as a blank. It is only intimidating by looks. You need to follow the instructions, that is the key. Read and understand because it must be drilled in the proper spot which you must locate and you must use a JR kit or any other kit that will be of that size or larger, the flamingo will not fit on a slim pen because the image is almost 1/2" wide. There is also some instructions on my website, drilling instructions that you can check out and if you still are not sure, you know where to find me. No question is a dumb question, especially for a $20 and up pen blank.

Last edited:

DFerguson777

Thanks.
I presented the pictures of a finished pen and the blanks to the client and she was impressed. She hasn't made up her mind yet...I hope she goes for it so I can try one of these blanks.
To be continued....
-Denny- NC

That blank will not just blow up unless you abuse it, and it will be far cooler looking when it is spun out than it looks as a blank. It is only intimidating by looks. You need to follow the instructions, that is the key. Read and understand because it must be drilled in the proper spot which you must locate and you must use a JR kit or any other kit that will be of that size or larger, the flamingo will not fit on a slim pen because the image is almost 1/2" wide. There is also some instructions on my website, drilling instructions that you can check out and if you still are not sure, you know where to find me. No question is a dumb question, especially for a $20 and up pen blank.

workinforwood

No problem Denny. The pics of the blanks look really green on top, but that is an illusion. The inside will look like that finished pen, the green streaking through very subtle and the white is actually two tones of white not just one. I think when the very small amount of green is mixed in, some of it wicks across the bottom of the mold making it look like the blank is white with clouds of green when it is actually just a few very fine streaks of green through the blank. Or..there is a couple with some blue in them I think too, as an alternate choice to the green. You can also let the client know that the blank is 100% urethane resin. This means it is solid all the way through, so if you scratch it by accident, it can be polished out without ruining the image or anything else. It is also a very durable resin with some elasticity to it, so if it is dropped it is less likely to break compared to some harder resins, and it is UV protected so that the colors should not hardly fade over time.

Last edited:

JohnU

Maybe cast pink feathers. While not flamingo http://www.birdsandart.com/Feathers/Turkey-Feathers they are some pink ones

I would not suggest dyed turkey feathers. They are way too thick and flat on top, nothing like what you would want. Trust me, I tried and it was ugly... The problem with plain dyed feathers with no pattern on them is they will all just blend together and not look like feathers. I would go with jeffs blank.

Top Bottom