Flame Polishing Acrylic..A must see!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Doc Thanks for the video link.
An amazing result on the Acrylic Duck Call, I look forward to your trial.
Certainly made it crystal clear.
Regards,
Brian.

Dick Mahany

Nice link, thanks. I recently tried flame polishing a small cylindrical notch that I sanded into a 3/4" acrylic cube. I used a Mapp gas torch with a standard tip and it bubbled very quickly. The technique shown here with the small flame looks like the way to go, but I was surprised to see the Oxy-Propane set up as I would have thought that would have been too hot, but obviously not with his method.

PSNCO

When flaming acrylic, a hydrogen/oxygen torch is much "cleaner". I've flame edged a lot of acrylic. Mapp gas will do it after a lot of practice, but hydrogen/oxygen is a whole lot easier.

Be sure it's true acrylic that you try to flame polish. I don't think Poly resin or alumilite and a flame would work too well.

Dick Mahany

When flaming acrylic, a hydrogen/oxygen torch is much "cleaner". I've flame edged a lot of acrylic. Mapp gas will do it after a lot of practice, but hydrogen/oxygen is a whole lot easier.

Be sure it's true acrylic that you try to flame polish. I don't think Poly resin or alumilite and a flame would work too well.

I'll need to give that a try. I have also heard that polycarbonate won't flame polish, but I have no direct experience with trying to do that.

lorbay

Well Doc I have seen that before, I can't wait to see your torch tip to get inside a barrel of a pen.
Lin

Top Bottom