Flag Kit Help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Seer

I odered a Jr Gent Flag Kit from Lazerlines and got the instructions but I am wondering is there any thing I should do that is not there or experiences that might make it easier. Also what is the best tool to turn it with, on my ribbon pens I used sandpaper to smooth it. Any and all help and ideas are appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
I've made several of the kits from Lazerlinez many of them flag kits.
When inserting the stars make sure you let them sit in soapy water for a minute or two, makes them go in a lot easier. After putting in a few stars roll the blank on a hard surface to make sure they are seated. When all the stars are in I wrap the blank with masking tape then use thin CA on the inside of the tube. Turn using a sharp skew. Once I turn enough to remove the tape and bring the stars down to the level of the blue I flood the wood again with thin CA. This makes sure the stars are glued in and fills any gap between the stars and the blue. I do this with the strips too. Finish with a sharp skew taking light cuts. When trimming the blank to size do not use a barrel trimmer, use a sander.

Hope this helps.

hebertjo

If all you have is a barrel trimmer you can still make it work. Get some twine Put a drop of medium CA on the end of the tube and start wrapping the twine around the tube. Go around about three times making sure each pass it snug against the last and then flood it with thin CA and hit it with some accelerator. Now you can use the barrel trimmer.

The twine turns off easily on the lathe.

Good luck.

Top Bottom