Fixing small holes (Spin Off)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

53Jim

I didn't want to steal the thread, so here goes...

JimGo mentioned using metals for filling small holes. I have a son who works in a home improvement store, where he has access to the left-overs from the key making machine.

Would this type of metal be acceptable for filling small holes (using CA to bond everything), or should I stick with wood without holes in it??

Thanks for any, and all responces.

Jim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hi Jim,

Any metal from key cuts should be soft enough for a turning application, I have seen brass shaving used, built up with thin and thick CA and then turned.

With some blanks when I am turning I place a paper towel around the tool rest and across the bed of the lathe to catch some fine shavings from the blank I am turning...just in case I need it as filler later

DAMHIKT...[;)]

Russb

I use key shavings for fill in when bowl turning. I do find that the shavings from the key machine to coarse so I use an old coffee grinder with blades that I sharpen to grind the shavings finer. This is a bit hard on the grinder so don't expect it to last too long. Also be careful of the larger pieces that may be in the pile of shavings. I lay the shavings in a groove I cut and distribute thin CA on top when the CA is set just use your turning tools to level.
Be nice when asking for the shavings as they usually recycle them.

rtparso

The size of the cuttings might be a little large but a fine screen can separate the powder. I have use a small sieve from the kitchen, and then I got caught.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I have been using embossing powders available at the local Hobby Lobby. They are available in the scrapbooking section. They come in all different colors and are nice and fine. They make one called Verdi Gris that looks like turquiose inlace. Looks great with mesquite. Here is a pic of a mesquite cigar I did with the embossing powder and CA.

Mesquiteinlay.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom