Fix for the Woodworkers Pencil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
In another thread I complained about the slop at the top of the CSU Woodworkers Pencil... I was originally considering step drilling the wood so that the top would have no slop... I found a quick and easy fix for the slop
A spare tube from the cigar kit glued into the top of the blank will give you a nice fit to the top of the pencil mechanism.. since the kit is drilled with a 10mm bit the tube is perfect. You will need to use a cigar kit bushing on that end of the kit instead of the one supplied for the woodworkers pencil though...
I actually put the tube in place on the pencil I alread made with a small ring of CA. I pushed the tube in until about 1/2" remained, but a small ring of CA at the joint and pushed the tube the remainder of the the way in... worked like a dream...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mike_l

Great tip!!
I'll give it a try on my next pencil. I have had a lot of interest in this pencil. Seems lots of people know woodworkers who are hard to buy for and think it would make a nice present.

Mike L

Ligget

I`m with Mac on this one too, get that tip into the articles section so as we can retrieve this info easily.
Well done Tom, thanks for sharing with us![:D]

nilsatcraft

I wasn't even aware of that problem until now, so thanks for the info, Tom. I'll keep record of this in case anybody asks how to deal with the loose fit. Thanks again.

Fangar

Originally posted by Old Griz
<br />In another thread I complained about the slop at the top of the CSU Woodworkers Pencil... I was originally considering step drilling the wood so that the top would have no slop... I found a quick and easy fix for the slop
A spare tube from the cigar kit glued into the top of the blank will give you a nice fit to the top of the pencil mechanism.. since the kit is drilled with a 10mm bit the tube is perfect. You will need to use a cigar kit bushing on that end of the kit instead of the one supplied for the woodworkers pencil though...
I actually put the tube in place on the pencil I alread made with a small ring of CA. I pushed the tube in until about 1/2" remained, but a small ring of CA at the joint and pushed the tube the remainder of the the way in... worked like a dream...

Very good info Tom. I am just getting ready to order and turn some of those kits for myself and a couple of pals. Have you seen the other version of this pen with the centerband. I believe PennState sells it. I wonder if this issue exists with the different version?

Here is the CSUSA version I believe you made:

050-5000.jpg

and here is the one PennState sells:

PKSPCL.jpg

Jame

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
James, CSU has that new style also and I believe that it uses tubes inside the wood unlike the original... I think I still like the original style better because it gives you more personal design possibilities... even if it is a pain the drill.. [:p]

Fangar

Originally posted by Old Griz
<br />James, CSU has that new style also and I believe that it uses tubes inside the wood unlike the original... I think I still like the original style better because it gives you more personal design possibilities... even if it is a pain the drill.. [:p]

Tom,

Thanks. I think I agree with you as to the design. I too like being able to work with the barrle shap a bit. I might give em both a whirl.

Cheers,

James

wayneis

CS's is a little different, the centerband and the top are hexagonal shaped so that they won't roll around. I think that they are a little classy looking but I still like the original also.

Wayne

arehrlich

Tom,

Thanks for the fix. I made my first one today and would have been very disappointed with the sloppy fit around the top.

Nils, if you are following the thread, please put a 10mm tube into these kits. They will not sell with the top fitting being so loose. Otherwise, it needs to be made using two drills. Difficult at best.

Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom