Fix for a PSI Executive Pencil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bobalu

I was having issues with a PSI Executive Pencil. The mechanism and the brass tube in the cap slipped, not allowing the lead to be extended or retracted. I looked through the older posts for a fix. There were lots of posts relating to this problem, in which most complained they had given up on this pencil and it's poor operation. Since I like the looks of the Executive and want to sell them as pen and pencil sets, not to mention that I have about eight sets sitiing here, I just had to find a fix. Here is what I did. I hope this can help others in the future.

Tools needed:

A small hammer like jeweler's hammer or small ballpean hammer. I use a 4 oz. ballpean hammer that I bought at Ace for pen disassembly.

A transfer punch set, which most of own to disassmble pens. You will need the very smallest punch - 3/32"

Here is my repair method:

(1) Place the assembled barrel (with tip holder and clip/coupler assembly) next to the pencil mechanism, with the cap slipped onto the mechanism.

(2) Adjust the length of the cap/pencil mechanism assembly until it is the same as it would be if placed inside the barrel assembly. You don't have to be perfect, just close to the assembled length.

(3) Place the cap/mechanism assembly onto a piece of wood ( a pen blank will do quite nicely), so the cap extends off the support. You don't want to bend the brass tube when you perform the next step.

(4) With the pointed end of the 3/32" transfer punch, place a dimple in the middle of the brass tube by lightly hitting with the hammer. Rotate the assembly and do this a few more times. I put four dimples around the outer circumference of my tube.

(5) Put the pencil together and test. You should now have enough "bite" between the cap tube and the pencil mechanism to properly operate the pencil as designed.

I hope someone finds this helpful. If this fix was already mentioned by someone else, I'm sorry but I didn't see anything like this in my search of the forum.

CREID

Thanks, I have an Executive pencil kit I have been ignoring because of the problems people have had with them. Maybe now I will give it a try.
Curt

LarryDNJR

I have just run into the same problem with 2 Executive Pencils. I can't believe they are still selling them with this issue. At any-rate I was thinking trying the dimple idea myself then read these posts so I might give it a try to at least salvage the sets I'm working on.

Top Bottom