Fix a cigar?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rodsaw

OK...so it was really late last night :yawn: and I probably should have waited to assemble the 14 cigar pens on the workbench. I ended up putting the nib coupler and twist holder on the upper tube instead of the lower on one of the pens. :mad:

So...has anyone had much luck in using one of the disassembly tools? Or have any tips on other methods of taking these pieces apart? I am mainly trying to rescue the turned blanks/tubes and I will sacrifice the pen parts to save them if necessary.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sabaharr

I have to agree with the other 2 guys on the HF punches. They are 7.99 on the web and 9.99 in the store. But if you print out the web page and take it to the store they will honor the 7.99 price.

thewishman

Chris, you're in luck, that is a very easy fix and you won't damage either the parts or the barrels. Slide a dowel (or better yet an HF transfer punch - you'll use them a lot and they will pay for themselves with the first use) through the coupler and, holding the barrel firmly in your hand - wrap a rubber band around the barrel for a better grip, bang on the end of the dowel to knock the nib out. Do this over a cloth lined drawer or a cardboard box to catch the nib - it will shoot right out. Then reverse the barrel and knock out the coupler, this is where the punches in many sizes really helps. You'll need something small enough to fit through the barrel and large enough to push out the coupler.

It is much easier to do than to describe. Good luck!

Rangertrek

Ditto

Ditto on the HF transfer punch set. I did the same thing on a pen. Got the same advise on a previus post. Went to HF (with web coupon). I did not think I would use the punch set that much. Wrong, using it more than expected. An expense you wont regret.

cnirenberg

The HF Transfer puch set is an indispensible "tool"-especially for the price. Works as a disassembly punch and a great pin chuck as well as other things.

rwyoung

One warning about punching out the nib -

I did this on one cigar kit and the punch "ballooned" the sides of the nib. Probably my fault for not striking firmly enough a few times but rather striking lighter many times. I was having trouble holding the blank firmly so most of the energy was lost to the blank slipping in my hand. The punch was the largest I could pass though the coupler but obviously not wide enough to scrape the inside walls of the tube.

Replacement nibs for cigars aren't terribly difficult to find though.

hewunch

I always unscrew the nib of the cigar. I never press it on with the nib installed. And I never punch it out with the nib installed.

rwyoung

I always unscrew the nib of the cigar. I never press it on with the nib installed. And I never punch it out with the nib installed.

Interesting, I don't believe this kit (an inexpensive one) had a removable nib. The collar and nib appeared to be one piece. But I'll look more closely.

Joe L

I'm left-handed (and all the problems that come with that), so I use a piece of leather belt to wrap the piece...place it in the vice and then have 2 hands to gently tap the punch. Yep, one hand holds the punch, the other hand the hammer. Like the idea of a cardboard box..maybe even a towel to catch the piece...
-joe L

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I have never seen one that didn't even the cheap ones.

True .. but some kits come with those parts assembled already, so if you
got your first kit that way, you might never know. If it comes with the
black ring and nib already screwed onto the coupler, it could look like one
manufactured part..

rwyoung

True .. but some kits come with those parts assembled already, so if you
got your first kit that way, you might never know. If it comes with the
black ring and nib already screwed onto the coupler, it could look like one
manufactured part..

Exactly! I looked more closely at the pieces and it does indeed seperate. I've only gotten cigar kits from two sources, Woodcraft and Wood-N-Whimsies and both suppliers kits had the nib, "ring" and coupler already assembled.

Looking back, now I'm not sure how the punches would have gotten it out if the nib had been taken off because in this particular case, the opening in the upper and lower couplers look to be the same. So the only punch that would have fit through would have simply fallen right through as the hole in the open end of the coupler is a good deal smaller than the inner diameter of the tube.

In the long run, no big deal because W-n-W has replacement nibs for short money.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Looking back, now I'm not sure how the punches would have gotten it out if the nib had been taken off because in this particular case, the opening in the upper and lower couplers look to be the same.

With the nib removed you should be able to go down one punch size and
come through the nib end first to remove the transmission. Then proceed
as usual.. But be careful, those couplers can get chewed up easily.

Top Bottom