Fishing Pole Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggromere

I made a pen for a friend with the top of a light color burl, maybe box elder, dont remember. I turned some rings into it so that it kinda looks like the cork handle on a fishing pool. I wanted to put a fly fishing lure on as a doohiki but I cant do that yet. I made the lower barrell out of ebony (now i know it will crack, but too late now.

Some other buddies of mine that fish have requested some pens similar to the one I made.

My question is this. Is there anywhere you can buy rod blanks that are the right size for pens. I know they are hollow so it would be important to get one with the proper inside diameter to hold a tube or go tubeless with it.

Anyone ever done anything like that or have any suggestions.

Jim Smith

I also build fishing rods as a hobby. You should be able to get scraps from broken or defective rod blanks for next to nothing. If you go to rodbuilding.org and post your question, I'll bet you get several folks respond to your request. You'll want the butt section of the graphite blanks so you might want to measure the size blank you need since it will be larger than most rods people build. The fishing rod blanks also come in a wide variety of colors which may add a new look to your fishing rod pens. Good luck and please post a photo of one of your pens for us to see.

Jim Smith

GaryMadore

Yeah, what Jim said, except that he gave you the wrong site: www.rodbuildingforum.com is where you want to go ;)

(inside joke, based on long-running rivalry between the sites).

I don't think you'd be able to go tubeless, as rods are tapered: One end of the chunk you use may be the right diameter, but nothing else will be.

I really look forward to seeing what you come up with. I am trying to figure out how to make a bamboo pen (that kinda-sorta looks like a 'boo rod) for a friend of mine.

Cheers!

Gary (will keep you in mind if I come across any orphaned blank sections)

Top Bottom