Fishing Pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

spnemo

I have a customer who is a professional fisherman. He does several shows/demonstrations each winter and he would like some fishing inspired pens to give away as door prizes. He is NOT a bass fisherman. Other than the bass clips that PSI and others carry, do you know of any pens that would work for fisherman?

Thanks for the help,
Sean

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MatthewZS

I've often thought of doing a pen half in cork and half red resin of some sort..... this would, I think, be reminiscent of sitting on a pier with a pole and a cork bobbing.... you know the little half red cork so you could see it?

workinforwood

Not a Bass fisherman ?!?!?! :eek:

Attachments

• trophybass3.jpg
    trophybass3.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 449

spnemo

Jeff,
That is one awesome pen! My friend does his fishing on the great lakes. Mostly walleye and salmon. He does do some bass fishing but that is not what he is famous for.

aggromere

I made some pens for a couple of fishermen buddies a while back. I used a carbon fiber blank on the lower barrel and a light knotty wood (dont remember what it was) for the upper. I turned some grooves in the wood to resemble a cork handle and put a few decals of lures on the carbon fiber part and covered with Ca.

If you do a google search for rod building supplies you can find an abundance of decals, etc. that rod builders use. You can order cork rings designed for making handles and all kinds of stuff. You might get some ideas.

workinforwood

Yep...well that's pretty much what it's all about. Like Pete says..you can get fishing decals, or as I would do, just start dismantling some lures and have at it! Doesn't have to have a picture of a fish to be a fishing pen.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Here is an easy one to make that fits any fisherman.

attachment.php

Just put your tubes on the lathe as if you were going to turn them. Then take some fishing line and use some CA to glue the end to the tube. Then use your hand wheel (or slow speed if you lathe goes slow enough) and wind the line on. Make one pass and coat it with CA very liberally. Allow the CA to cure and then keep going until you have it built up bigger than your bushings. Then simply turn it down. You may need to add CA as you turn. You can also use different colored fishing line and even combine different colored line. It is more interesting in person than in the photo.

Attachments

• FishingLine Tapa2.jpg
    FishingLine Tapa2.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 404
  • FishingLine Tapa3.jpg
    FishingLine Tapa3.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 155

spnemo

Maybe I could combine fishing line with a logo to make a really nice pen. Wow, you guys have given me some really great ideas. I hope my friend wants lots of pens because I want to try them all!

Jgrden

Heck of an idea. Say, let's take this a little further. When I was young and played racquetball, they made a string that was rainbow colored. It is about the size of weed whacker filament but I wonder what it would look like? We are headed out the door in the few moments and will make a stop at a sporting goods store. If I can not find it there, I will order it from Ektalon.

Trillium

(If you do a google search for rod building supplies you can find an abundance of decals, etc. that rod builders use. You can order cork rings designed for making handles and all kinds of stuff. You might get some ideas. ) Merrick Tackle sells decals like this.
I caught a BlackFin Shark , skinned it , tanned it scraped it and cast the hide in resin for a 7mm slimline. Hasnt been turned yet as it is still a bit sticky, but it should be finished by early next week provided I dont blow the blank(s). I posted pix of the process so far in my member album...

Top Bottom