Fish skin blanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Stephen

Is it a good idea to make fish skin blanks? If so how do you prepare the skin to get the fishy smell off? And what else...
Thanks
Stephen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Is it a good idea to make fish skin blanks? If so how do you prepare the skin to get the fishy smell off? And what else...
Thanks
Stephen

It has been done before and posted here. I don't remember who posted it but it was one of the regulars and done very well. IIRC, it was done from gar skin and tail.

Stephen

Thanks Hank. I missed the recent posting on Fisherman's blanks. Yes there is nice looking skin blank in one of the replies. I do not know how to prepare the skin.
Stephen

workinforwood

I can tell you the fish smell doesn't matter. Once it's cast, the smell is gone. You can simply buy a tanning kit which comes with instructions and isn't very expensive to buy. Remember that many fish have the color in the scales. Not all fish, but many do, such as blue gills. It is very difficult to skin a bluegill without damaging the scales. Best focus on fish that don't have scales, or fish that have very small scales. Bluegills have large scales..been there tried that! You can buy fish skins already prepped on the internet as well. Seems I read that fish skin is the second strongest leather too. An interesting little fact to toss out to customers.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Stephen,

You don't need a tanning kit. Sking the fish and pin the skin to a board stretched tight. Scrape off any meat still left on and then thoroughly cover it with 20 Mule Team borax available at any grocery store. Let it dry for a week or so and then scrape off the borax and you skin will be dry and cured. It will be a little stiff but that is not a problem. I usually then wash it in alcohol since it dried fast. Now it is ready to use. If it is too stiff, simply soak in alcohol a little while and then wrap on the tube.

I have done the gar pen I posted, plecostomos, and channel catfish. The catfish was very boring and not worth the trouble. The plecostomos was ok but not great. Of course the gar turned out great.

Like Jeff said, the color is mostly in the scales and it is nearly impossible to use the skin without knocking off the scales. I tried an orange Koi and there was no real color left without the scales.

workinforwood

I have seen some excellent fish skins online. Pretty sure they were Rainbow trout, or perhaps Salmon, or both. They had great color. I think the professionals that make fish leather for a living have secrets to obtain the natural colors that we amatuers don't know about.
Tell you what I am really impressed by is Ostrich legs. Problem is, I can't afford the skins, but look them up!

philb

Hi, Do you have any pics of Pleco skin pen?

Cheers

Stephen,

You don't need a tanning kit. Sking the fish and pin the skin to a board stretched tight. Scrape off any meat still left on and then thoroughly cover it with 20 Mule Team borax available at any grocery store. Let it dry for a week or so and then scrape off the borax and you skin will be dry and cured. It will be a little stiff but that is not a problem. I usually then wash it in alcohol since it dried fast. Now it is ready to use. If it is too stiff, simply soak in alcohol a little while and then wrap on the tube.

I have done the gar pen I posted, plecostomos, and channel catfish. The catfish was very boring and not worth the trouble. The plecostomos was ok but not great. Of course the gar turned out great.

Like Jeff said, the color is mostly in the scales and it is nearly impossible to use the skin without knocking off the scales. I tried an orange Koi and there was no real color left without the scales.

Darley

fish skin should be tanned therefor no smell, the cutting process to the lenght of the tube is time consuming and you will all way see the seam, I did Barramundi fish skin, got some cane toad skin ( frog ) to try and Australian sea snake. be carre full if you pressurise the blanks, pressure will inject to PR into the leather of the skin and the blank will turn black :frown:

Australian sea snake Baron

attachment.jpg

Australian sea snake Emperor

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• BaronSeaSnake.jpg
    BaronSeaSnake.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 160
  • EmperorSeaSnake.jpg
    EmperorSeaSnake.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 165

Rifleman1776

I got some from Glimmerz 'N Things. It was perch dyed scarlet. Very striking, sold that pen right quick, a Cigar. Don't know if they are still around. Nice folks and good blanks but kinda sloppy on the business part.

Stephen

I got some from Glimmerz 'N Things. It was perch dyed scarlet. Very striking, sold that pen right quick, a Cigar. Don't know if they are still around. Nice folks and good blanks but kinda sloppy on the business part.

Frank I had a look at their web page. They do snake skins and animal skins.
Stephen

Top Bottom