First Wall St. II

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

emccarthy

I just made this wall street II pen - kit purchased at woodcraft. Was easy as pie, but to me, final product isn't quite right...the part where the barrel meets the center band, there's a little gap, and I'm not sure what I can do to get rid of it.

Kit is Wall Street II gold and barrel is Rosewood.

One other thing...I used Mylands as a finish on the barrel, and you can see all sorts of 'holes'...anything I can do about that in the future, besides a CA finish?

Attachments

• WSII1 web.jpg
    WSII1 web.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 187
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ROOKIETURNER

I am not an expert, but I was taught a few things that might help. Once I turn to shape and sand with 150 I pull the blank off the lathe and sand the ends sqaure. You can use a sander with a sqaure rest or I just have a bolt on board, and punched holes in a sheet of sand paper to fit over. I then put the blank on the bolt twist a few times and take it back to the lathe. I find that almost everytime it was a little off.

The other thing to check is the tube. Make sure that it is flush with the blank. The sanding methods described above should take care of a tube issue.

As for filling the holes, I recommend Russ Fairfields method of CA filling.

There is link on the how to video section of IAP. You can even D/L the video.

emccarthy

Fixed the gap issue. It wasn't a squarness issue, as the gap was all the way around. I didn't have the twist mechanism far enough in the barrel. I did noticed though that it's really easy to push it TOO far in. Is there a solution to this, or am I just going to have a lot of potential repairs to deal with, when selling this pen?

JimMc7

<snip> I did noticed though that it's really easy to push it TOO far in. Is there a solution to this, or am I just going to have a lot of potential repairs to deal with, when selling this pen?

Shorten the tube or put a plug in the cap to prevent the transmission from pushing in out of reach of the threads. Recent discussion of this topic in this thread:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=58724

Some also provide pen cards with instructions to pull the pen apart rather than unscrewing to change the refill. This works as long as the owner follows the instructions but in my experience some will still have the problem.

Wall Street II is Woodcraft's name for the Sierra twist pen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom