First upload

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

lkorn

I know that my photography isn't up to the abilities of someof you, but here is the fruit of

2005314175122_bloodwood%20with%20ebony.jpg

2005314175338_Cherry%20Burl.jpg

200531417541_Copy%20of%20Redheart.jpg

2005314175518_red%20dyed%20%20maple%20burl.jpg

my weekend labor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ryannmphs

Very nice. Please list some of the specifics of each pen (wood type, finish, kit style, etc.) I really like the accent lines on the top one.

Ryan

lkorn

Thanks for looking, As a relative newbie, I'm really proud of my growing abilities.

All kits are PSI 8mm Euro style. (PKMONT-PAR)

The top pen is Bloodwood with ebony inserts. After I made the cuts, I found the gluing was going to be tricky. I wound up clamping to the workbench so that the pieces wouldn't slide off the angles. Gotta find a better way.
Next is a piece of Cherry Burl.
Third is Red Heart.
The Bottom one is dyed Maple Burl. The Blank was entirely dark wine red, but as you can see, penetration was poor, so a lot of the natural wood showed up, I showed it to several people who had a hard time believing it was wood. They thought is was marble or plastic.

Larry

lkorn

Oh yeah! All were sanded to 12000MM. I used Shellawas Friction Finish, then TSW. Mylands wax on top. The pen with the Ebony just sold here at work during my lunch break.

Larry

Tom McMillan

Larry---Those are some very nice looking pens!!! The last one is really "something else"!!! Beautiful wood!!! Wow, we're sure seeing some nice woods lately!! Cool!! Also, hope you'll start your album here with those too!!

lkorn

I understand the V-block, but with the angles I cut, when I tried to clamp the pieces together, they would slide up against each other. Of course, if I clamped the first piece to the V-block...
Thiking out loud, I guess it would work.

Unless i messed something [?]

Originally posted by wpenm
<br />Great job Larry. I cut a "V" groove in a 2x4 block for glue ups and use some wax paper so that they don't stick to the jig It works great for me.

darbytee

Nice job on the pens. The dyed maple looks great.

I use a drill press vise when I do lamination glue ups and it works fine for me. You just have to make sure that your stock is the same width

lkorn

Thanks to all for your complements. The task of turninb gets more enjoyable with every revolution of the lathe.

The drill press vise sounds great, I even have an old one with plastic jaws just itching or some glue.

Larry

I use a drill press vise when I do lamination glue ups and it works fine for me. You just have to make sure that your stock is the same width
[/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom