First time using BLO and CA Finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Whitehat1994

A Newport Black Titanium with zebra wood label pen black. Finis is the BLO and CA procedure (first time I used this procedure)
The zebra wood didn't look like I thought it would.
Seems my camera isn't taking good photos some some reason.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 607
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Not too sure that is zebra wood. There is some that is dark such as yours and also where it was cut from. I love using zebra wood but on a much larger bases because it shows off the grain pattern. With a pen the area is so small. If i want that look I would use BOW (olive wood) The grain pattern and lighter colored tans shows better.

The pen looks good though.

But here is a couple clocks I made using zebra wood as the base and you see the lighter colored wood. That is what you look for when buying it.

Whitehat1994

Not too sure that is zebra wood. There is some that is dark such as yours and also where it was cut from. I love using zebra wood but on a much larger bases because it shows off the grain pattern. With a pen the area is so small. If i want that look I would use BOW (olive wood) The grain pattern and lighter colored tans shows better.

The pen looks good though.

But here is a couple clocks I made using zebra wood as the base and you see the lighter colored wood. That is what you look for when buying it.

This pen blank came for a pack my wife ordered off eBay a couple of years ago when I got into turning. I wasn't sure what to expect once it was turned into the pen.
Thank you for the information!

Hawkdave

That's a nice looking pen Richard, well done!!

John is correct in describing Zebra wood. The two bases on the clocks he uses as an example, shows some fine colouration and striping that you can get when looking for quality Zebra wood.

Nice clocks John.

Dave.

Loucurr

Tell us more

A Newport Black Titanium with zebra wood label pen black. Finis is the BLO and CA procedure (first time I used this procedure)

How was your experience using the BLO and CA?

What technique did you use? I have been watching a few videos and seems like people use different techniques on their application. :confused:

Whitehat1994

How was your experience using the BLO and CA?

What technique did you use? I have been watching a few videos and seems like people use different techniques on their application. :confused:

The application process I used was simple. I will have to figure out how to get a better shine! The finish is extremely SMOOTH to the touch! I will use it again on different woods to see what I can accomplish. I'll have to investigate others application process as well.

Here is the link to the instructions I used. Good luck and let us know how you like it!

http://content.penturners.org/library/techniques/ca-blo.pdf

Last edited:

RedBeard

I don't recall ever seeing that particular article. Kind of interesting.

I've used the BLO/CA finish pretty much from the get-go and really the main difference seems to be that I apply the BLO and the CA to the paper towel at the same time then apply it to the blank.

The process I've been using I got from this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orcgOf4siqc

One kind of interesting thing I've noticed after using several different types and brands of CA is that I get a better shine from a particular Loctite CA then I do from the ones that seem to be aimed at pen turners.

TonyL

I use the method that Mark referenced (RedBeard). I find it the easiest.

Houtkop

I have used zebrano on a few pens in the past, and found that on some of the cross cut blanks it came out dark as on the photo. My problem was that I applied a danish oil first. So it might be that you use a little to much BLO, and that darkens the light wood. Since then I use a thin ca as sealer first before using BLO/CA to finish.

jttheclockman

I have used zebrano on a few pens in the past, and found that on some of the cross cut blanks it came out dark as on the photo. My problem was that I applied a danish oil first. So it might be that you use a little to much BLO, and that darkens the light wood. Since then I use a thin ca as sealer first before using BLO/CA to finish.

Just a note. Those clocks and basis on the clocks all were finished with Danish oil. It is and always will be my finish of choice on things like that. No darkening. Danish oil Natural that is.

Whitehat1994

Just a note. Those clocks and basis on the clocks all were finished with Danish oil. It is and always will be my finish of choice on things like that. No darkening. Danish oil Natural that is.

Here is my first scroll saw project I made for my wife. It's ambrosia maple finished with Danish oil. I put several coats on it, tried "rubbing" it with 0000 steel wool damp with Danish oil. Then a coat Johnson floor wax.
I still didn't get the gloss shine I was expecting.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 180
Top Bottom