First time turning burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Docsmith45

I bought some burl blanks on Ebay. I've never turned any burl before and I was wondering if there are any tips-hints-best practices I should be aware of before I start? What I have is:Claro Burl, Redwood Lace Burl, Big Leaf Maple Burl, Madrone Burl, Locust Lace Burl, and Blue Buckeye Burl. They are beautiful wood and I would klike to do them justice. Any help is appreciated.

[?]Doc

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

I've never turned locust burl, but I suspect it will second in difficulty to the buckeye. Usually, buckeye is very soft and will be a little "chippy" off a gouge. All the other species should not be alot more difficult than usual. It will be best to use a skew, but if you have not yet mastered this tool angle the gouge a little more in the direction of cut to get more of a skew type cut with the gouge. Go with light cuts in the beginning to get the points off. You might want to start at each end and work towards the middle of each blank. This will blowout on the ends. Watch as you go, you always have 100 grit to fall back on.

I tell a lot of my students, you can use a screwdriver or an ax to get the wood rounded, but a skew will limit the sanding time to almost nothing. I think one of the toughest aspects of these burls is that you spent some extra money to get them and you don't want to screw up. You get a little nervous and the trouble starts. Relax and enjoy!! At least it's not a 50 pound chunk of burl that cost you several hundred dollars.

Good Luck.

Efletche

I've only been turning pens for a couple months, but next to deer antler, burls are my favorites. Like Drew, I've have more than my share blow up on me. I would add to keel your gouge level. If you angle up, you are going to have chip out. Stop every now and again and re-stabilize with CA glue. Don't use a lot of pressure on the gouge either. When sanding, I sand to 300 grit, apply CA glue while the lathe is on, and continue sanding to 12,000 grit. What a shine! I made a cherry burl last night (sold it this morning at work) and applied a coat of BLO for the first time. It really brought out the grain! Finished with friction wax. Good luck with the burls. You're gonna love them.

Bob A

I used to have many blowouts with burls. Upon reccomendation from someone on a forum, most likely this one, I have been drilling the blanks and then stabilizing the inside with thin CA and then redrilling. I have not had a blowout since. Of course I use most if not all the tips that have been presented above also.

Bob

ilikewood

I say follow the advice given and you should do well. Remember though, even in the most careful instances, sometimes a blowout will happen. Don't be discouraged....it will happen to everyone eventually.[:)]

BTW - sometimes you may be able to recover the pieces and glue them back together if it hasn't totally exploded. I have recovered a few like this where just a large single piece has come off and was a perfect fit to go back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom