First Time Turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

firedkm

I decided I should practice turning before making an actual pen. I think I need more practice and lots of it!:eek:

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 339
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kovalcik

Yeah, you are definitely an amateur. Just look at that little hole. Those of us that have been doing this for a while can make the whole blank explode and disappear into dust and shrapnel so the only thing left is a battered brass tube. :biggrin:

JimB

If you have never done any turning before then I suggest not starting with pen blanks. Take a bit larger piece of wood, mount it between center and just get used to making scrap wood round.

ctubbs

That is a really good start. After as few more, you will learn to duck, bob and weave as the shrapnel comes flying at your head. PR is much more fun, wood just makes holes and splinters. PR will actually go BOOM! DAMHIKT!!
Charles

xxShadowxx

ctubbs says wood just splinters, i turned some very old mahogany, THAT one EXPLODED haha

Rick P

Just wait once you get good at making wood round you will want to move on to more exotic materials..........Bone not only explodes it stinks! Strongly enough to end a happy marriage! And musk ox horn! Just dont if you have any respect for your neighbors, when it comes to Musk ox horn!

Craig Matheny

Just wait once you get good at making wood round you will want to move on to more exotic materials..........Bone not only explodes it stinks! Strongly enough to end a happy marriage! And musk ox horn! Just dont if you have any respect for your neighbors, when it comes to Musk ox horn!
Try engraving Ostrich egg some time did this at home had to take the laser outside and hook up the exhaust as is smelt so bad. We do not do eggs any more:biggrin:

crabcreekind

Yeah, you are definitely an amateur. Just look at that little hole. Those of us that have been doing this for a while can make the whole blank explode and disappear into dust and shrapnel so the only thing left is a battered brass tube. :biggrin:

how do you get this luck! I explode only one side and i have to turn off the other side..

ctubbs

how do you get this luck! I explode only one side and i have to turn off the other side..[/quote]

Turn more, lots more!:wink::biggrin:
Charles

joek30296

I've heard of folks making pens on a drill press. Is that what you're doing? (I've got a lot room to talk as I'm probably newer than you are.) Big learning curve ain't it?

Joe

widows son

Horny and stinky

Try engraving Ostrich egg some time did this at home had to take the laser outside and hook up the exhaust as is smelt so bad. We do not do eggs any more:biggrin:

A friend of mine in west Texas called me and asked if I was interested in a box of cow horns for free. Sure, for that price who could say no. Another friend was moving from Lubbock to Austin and said he would put the box in the van. About a week later I get home and there is a box in my driveway. I could smell them when I opened my car door. The horns were ripe and had bits of maggots, flies, skull, fur and other stinky stuff on them. I set up my Coleman camping stove and a big pot in the backyard to clean them up. Wow, the dogs went nuts. My friends wife who drove the van from Lubbock sent me a really nasty email and the neighbors downwind haven't talked to me since. In my defense it only smelled bad for a day or so.

firedkm

I've heard of folks making pens on a drill press. Is that what you're doing? (I've got a lot room to talk as I'm probably newer than you are.) Big learning curve ain't it?

Joe

Joe it was on a lathe. its just the way the photo loaded up for me.

I have been getting better results with practice. finally got a couple of pens done and they turned out decent..

ctubbs

Way to go, Dale. Keep it up and shortly you may have to get a bigger OOPS bucket like the rest of us. Glad to hear of your success, how about some pictures? We likes them pictures. Yes we does.

Seriously, glad to hear you did not get too discouraged and continued destroying wood. Congratulations on finally getting 'decent' turnings out.
Charles

Top Bottom