First time with polymer clay - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2009, 06:49 PM   #21 (permalink)

Photos: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKEETERPROV View Post
I made some more blanks up tonite and when i was rolling out the clay i noticed small pockets of air and i believe thats what causing the breakouts....I guess i will have to invest in a pasta machine.....
Splurge. Buy the pasta machine. There are 40% off coupons available for Michaels this weekend.
PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-13-2009, 06:54 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenAffair View Post
I remember reading up on this about 9 months ago, and the opinion was back then, that after a while being used, the blanks disintegrate. Is this not true anymore, or does applying a CA coat prevent this?

Not sure if this stuff is available readily in Australia, I'll have to look around and experiment.

Russell.
I'm unaware of such a problem. Polymer clay has been used in jewelry and other creations for years without that problem. I've have had pens done with and without CA in use since 12/06 with no evidence of deterioration of any kind. My guess would be that if anyone ever had such a problem it was related to undercured clay. I used to be an active participant in a number of polymer clay forums and there were numerous Australians in the forums, so I'm sure PC is available there.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:59 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaTim View Post
I've never tried polymer but will pick some up tomorrow. Have any of you tried rolling it on a small dowel, then baking and drilling to size? Just wondering if that would save some clay and make drilling easier.
Interesting idea. I can't see why that wouldn't work. The alternative of just applying the PC (with CA) straight onto the brass also would save you on clay. Again, this wouldn't work with some of the twist and marbled design approaches, but I suspect you will run into this same issue with the dowel idea.
Advertisement
Old 11-13-2009, 10:13 PM   #24 (permalink)

Photos: 39

To feed off the dowel idea I purchased drill rod the same size as the drill bits for specific kits. I haven't had alot of time to play, but my intent is to roll long tubes of polymer clay that I can cure and then cut to size. These can then be glued to the tube like a normal blank. Hopefully I will have some time to play with this soon.

As for disintigration I am with Paul. Many people under cure the clay or do something else wrong during the process. My mom was a polymer clay artist over 25 years ago and she still has pieces that look brand new. Since then there have be numerous reformulations and additions to the clay world.
creativewriting is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-13-2009, 11:59 PM   #25 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativewriting View Post
As for disintigration I am with Paul. Many people under cure the clay or do something else wrong during the process. My mom was a polymer clay artist over 25 years ago and she still has pieces that look brand new. Since then there have be numerous reformulations and additions to the clay world.
OK cool,

Sounds like something else I can't afford to try, but will anyway :) Seems there are suppliers here with Fimo, Sculpy, Kato and if I can find a supplier, and Aussie one called Modelene. it's actually quite a dizzying selection trying to decide which one to use. If I can't find the modelene, I think Sculpy Premo seems to be the strongest? I wonder how the bendy stuff turns, might make a nice soft-grip pen for arthritics?

Russell.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:14 AM   #26 (permalink)

I see i have created some creative monsters........I might add too i find if i leave the blanks for a day they seem to harden real nice and the shavings stay together..
SKEETERPROV is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-15-2009, 01:28 AM   #27 (permalink)

Default New pens update

well this is what i have been working on with my polymer project ..lol..sorry for the bad pic quality...
Attached Thumbnails
pens-2-001.jpg  
SKEETERPROV is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-15-2009, 04:00 AM   #28 (permalink)

Photos: 235

They look great .
In some ways this stuff is better the PR since you can build your swirls right into the blank and get effects you can't get with pr no matter what .
Any fool can know , the point is to understand (Albert Einstein)
There are no mistakes....Only happy accidents (Bob Ross)
ldb2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-15-2009, 04:44 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldb2000 View Post
They look great .
In some ways this stuff is better the PR since you can build your swirls right into the blank and get effects you can't get with pr no matter what .
I agree. I'm tired of the pigments separating from pouring too soon, or my resin setting before I pour. If this stuff works as well in person as it looks in pictures, I'll be a convert.

I picked up a toaster oven today, and stole the wife's pasta maker Grabbed some generic polymer clay from the cheapie shop to play with, while I order some better stuff. It is not that cheap over here in Aus, so I'll have to try baking on the tube to keep down on wastage.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Russell.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:44 AM   #30 (permalink)

I hope you have sucess with it......i am sure you will
Logged on members can hide ads