First Time fountain Pen ???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tdibiasio

I have just completed a commissioned fountain pen - First I have ever turned. The kit is a JR Gent Postable. My question is how do I load the nib??? It came with two ink devices, one that looks like it has ink in it, and another that has a black "plunger" that if turned will advance inside a clear tube. I am really confused on what parts I am to use to load the ink. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also does someone know if the Ink cartigages can be replaced at say Office Depot?? or do I have to order them specifically from Craft Supply.

Thanks in advance

Tom

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I would say don't load it. Your client will do it either with the cartridge or using his own ink in the pump. Just give him both parts with the pen.

tdibiasio

Steven

Thanks for the reply - I guess my question was not really clear. If I were to load it for the client - how do I do it??? Do I just push the ink cartigage onto the nib? Seems like that is the case but just want to know if there is any pitfall or things to watch out for.

I am taking it from your answer that the two ink devices are an either or situation. One is for preloaded ink and the other is if you would like to use liquid ink from a bottle.

Thanks for the replys

Tom DiBiasio

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Tom, as far as I know, the cartridges are pretty standard but some are longer. They simply press in, just make sure it is fully in.
I've only done a few FP's and the recipient prefers the plunger / piston and they have been far more profficient than me.
The piston fits in the same way and is advanced down to the nib end, the nib held in the ink and then the piston brought back which sucks ink into the pen. The nib is then wiped clean.

Hopefully you will get one of the FP pro's answer too:rolleyes:

Tom,

The ink cartridge is a short universal available at big box office suppliers or on line. The cartridge is pushed into the back of the nib section. There is a short tube that punctures the cartridge.

The converter is used to draw ink from a bottle. The user must remove the nib, attach the converter the same way as the cartridge, then dunk the entire nib into the ink and twist the end of the converter clockwise. This draws ink into the reservoir. Be sure to wipe away any extra ink then re-install the nib, section and converter.

Hope this helps, if you still have questions let me know.

Merry Christmas,

Larry

Steven

Thanks for the reply - I guess my question was not really clear. If I were to load it for the client - how do I do it??? Do I just push the ink cartigage onto the nib? Seems like that is the case but just want to know if there is any pitfall or things to watch out for.

I am taking it from your answer that the two ink devices are an either or situation. One is for preloaded ink and the other is if you would like to use liquid ink from a bottle.

Thanks for the replys

Tom DiBiasio

Jmhoff10500

The piece with the ink in it is the "cartridge", and you do just push it into the nib, the little seal will pop and the nib holds it on there nice and neat. if this is a fountain pen and the the customer would like to use the "ink converter" (the plunger piece) then you have to remove the spring in the postable end of the pen, if you don't then when you take the nib off the pen to refill it it will leak and spray all over! it would be safe to just remove it before hand, the only reason that there in one in there is so you can switch between fountain pen and rollerball at will. good luck!

its_virgil

The ink that comes with our kits is not quality ink....even lower than low quality ink. I never use them. I purchase quality ink cartridges and give one or two with each fountain pen. If your customer is a fountain pen user they will have their own ink preference. If they are first time users the ink that comes with the kits will not help them enjoy using a fountain pen.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Also does someone know if the Ink cartigages can be replaced at say Office Depot?? or do I have to order them specifically from Craft Supply.

Thanks in advance

Tom

Top Bottom