First time closed end

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

After looking at all the beautiful closed end pens I started one. drilled my hole ok ca'd by tube in ok placed the blank in the chuck ok {i bought the mandrel from AS } turned the blank. ok I took off the blank from the mandrel. i noticed that the blank wall thickness on one side is doubled that of the other. NOT GOOD. I took the mandrel out of the blank and put the mandrel by itself into the chuck and there is a wobble. then the blank was supported with the tailstock there was no wobble.

Now that I think about it there has been always been a wobble then i turned my bottle stoppers too. Yet the stopper always fitted.
What to do?
1. clean out the base of the lathe first! and try again or
2. Use Air pressure to clean the chuck or
3. To solve the problem should I replace just the chuck [HF]

Or is there something I am missing any suggestions thanks

Bill Daniels

stevers

Probably the chuck. Have you done a run-out test on your chuck? And you didn't say what type of chuck other than HF. Check the chuck for run-out. This will allow you to either rule it out or confirm it. (the chuck) Ruled out you can move on to other possibilities.

gerryr

I would bet on the chuck. You can use a Jacobs drill chuck to hold the mandrel also, but a Beall collet chuck is really the most precise.

avbill

After a through cleaning the wobble continued. I then took the closed-end bracket down to the Woodcraft store and they put into a drill chuck of their lathe. The wobble stopped. Bought a new drill chuck came home and my first test closed-end pen has a tolerance of less than 1/32" difference on the end. :D

Thanks for the guidance gents!

Bill Daniels

Top Bottom