first segmented pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nwcatman

had it for sale at a crafts shop for $59. one guy kept coming back and offering $39. told him ok if he'd sell me his 2008 dodge 2500 for $500. i'm still walking and he's still talking.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hello

You know....segmented pens are growing on me.
I really like it!
I'm about to try my first segmented pen. I'm considering putting on my big boy britches and try this double celtic knot idea i had the other week!

IPD_Mrs

John you pen looks good from what I can see of the photo. If you want my thought on it, I would go back and change the price on the pen to $79. I am sure you have to pay a commission and at $59 you sure are not making much if anything once all is said and done. Also the next time someone low balls you, simply raise the price on them for insulting you and your talents.

Mike

GBusardo

Originally posted by MLKWoodWorking

John you pen looks good from what I can see of the photo. If you want my thought on it, I would go back and change the price on the pen to $79. I am sure you have to pay a commission and at $59 you sure are not making much if anything once all is said and done. Also the next time someone low balls you, simply raise the price on them for insulting you and your talents.

Mike

I agree, that's one heck of a pen!

toolcrazy

I third that, you are asking way too little for that pen. I'm sure it didn't take you an hour to do that. And sometimes, when you do put a high price on an item, they sell faster.

I'm gonna have to try that one of these days.

Beautiful pen!!!!

GoodTurns

very nice pen, I'm working on my first and hope it comes out anywhere close to that!

$59 is low...too much work. Don't undervalue your time (this is one of those times when 3x cost does not work! Any customs have to take the time into account more than the costs.

wickford

very nice pen!!

I definitely agree with the others based on what I've learned here and having made a number of pens that style myself, I know what kind of time and effort it takes...I'd definitely raise that price if I were you...$79 at a minimum!!!

mick

John I gotta agree with the rest....you've pricing it way too cheap. $75.00 is my staring point for segmented cigars and the more segmenting the higher the price goes :D

nwcatman

my wife says for you guys to knock it off. she has wanted me to build her a segmented pen and says she can't afford the $79. i told her to drag out her car title and we'll negociate. anyway.......i appreciate the kudos and advice. here in south texas its hard to sell anything but zip guns and spray paint. and boats.

redfishsc

Originally posted by sailing_away

Well worth what you are asking. Maybe an even trade â€" his Dodge for your pen.

Only if he could trade the Dodge for a Chevy[8D].

Stick to your price. BTW, I hope that the cigar is a ti-gold, partly b/c no pen in cheap 24k gold (in my overstated opinion) is worth $60 regardless of the blank, and partly b/c a blank as STUNNING and sweeeeet as what you have is worth so much better than cheapo gold plating.

I sell regular wood and acrylic cigars for $40 without a lot of difficulty. $60 is IMO a very good price. You could probably get that price, and better, for the cigar if you made the same blank and turned it into a much more expensive fountain pen (like a Gent or El Grande) for $150 and put the two side by side. They will begin to see the "value" of the $60 pen.

DSallee

Well ya know it's a nice pen when my wife is asking me a question while I'm surfing these posts and she stops mid sentence and say's " OOOOO... I like that pen! "

This is exactly how it went... " Honey, do you think we can.... OOOOO, I like that pen! "

No kidding!! LOL

Nice pen BTW :D

Dave

PaulDoug

Originally posted by DSallee

Well ya know it's a nice pen when my wife is asking me a question while I'm surfing these posts and she stops mid sentence and say's " OOOOO... I like that pen! "

This is exactly how it went... " Honey, do you think we can.... OOOOO, I like that pen! "

No kidding!! LOL

Nice pen BTW :D

Dave

That's wheh I say, "honey, if I just had such and such tool I could make you one of those...." I never pass up that opportunity

nwcatman

no problem. just let me know what tool you need and i'll send a post in saying i used "that tool" to make the pen![}:)] we gotta look out for each other here ya know.

DSallee

Originally posted by nwcatman

no problem. just let me know what tool you need and i'll send a post in saying i used "that tool" to make the pen![}:)] we gotta look out for each other here ya know.

Hmmm. let's see... how about a Jet Mini lathe, a nice floor standing DP and a SawStop table saw... just to start... :D

Seriously, I'm gonna have to try that "segmented" style... oh, and the wife has already OK'd a Jet Mini.. :D She's already got orders for me and I haven't even turned one pen yet.. LOL

Dave

saltwein

Put it in a nice box, raise it up from the other pens on a platform of some kind and put $125 on it. When asked about price tell people it would be 2 to 3 times that in a gift shop if they could find it and you like it well enough that it won't trouble you if you don't sell it.

Regards, Steve

altaciii

I agree with steve. That pen is worth at the very minimum $125. You have to ask a price that you think the pen is worth to you. People will most times try to talk the price lower but hold your ground. I have several collectors of my work that would pay that and probably more for a pen like that because they appreciate the labor you put into it. That is one beautiful work of art not just a pen.

Rmartin

I agree your price is too low, but I've been to many "craft" shops where haggeling with the price is expected. Depends on the setting, but I will price in a starting point, or offer an upgrade box to a prospective buyer. They think they've gotten a deal, and you make a sale to a satisfied customer.

M

monkeynutz

Very nice work! As to Mr. Haggler, some guys just gotta work a discount to think they got a good deal. If you wanted $5, he would probably offer $4. I agree with the others... your ask is a fair price, to be sure. I'd jack it up to $79 or $89, and then you'll end up getting at least the $59 you are asking now.

Sfolivier

I agree, it's worth more than $59, unless you're reaaalllly fast. How long do you think it took you to make the pen? And how long does a carpenter or cabinet maker charge per hour in your area? ;)

Top Bottom