First Photo

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

run91

Hi All,

I am trying to learn how to take photo's of my pens. Here is my first attempt, and would like to have some feed back good or bad. Thanks for any help.

Bob

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Focus and brightness look good. But you have too much white space around it. Crop in so the pen is foremost. Along with that, the block of burl cap it is sitting on is taking lead in the visual department. You want the pen to take lead.

Those are the only two "negatives" I see. Otherwise, great job.

jocat54

Focus and brightness look good. But you have too much white space around it. Crop in so the pen is foremost. Along with that, the block of burl cap it is sitting on is taking lead in the visual department. You want the pen to take lead.

Those are the only two "negatives" I see. Otherwise, great job.

I agree with Greg on cropping the picture to make the pen stand out more. Good picture otherwise.

jbmauser

I like the pen, nice job. Was this shot with florescent lights? Does your camera adjust for light temp with a grey card? The neutral background reflects a bit to much to the underside of the black tip section which disrupts the lines of the pen. The last comment I would make is that the prop is too interesting and it conflicts for with the pen for attention. the fact that it wraps around the front of the pen makes it part of the scene which is not what you want. Nothing should interfere with the lines of the pen. How about a second last comment...a problem with using a prop that is a lighter color than the pen is lighter colors draw the eye and you want to focus attention on the pen and not draw the eye from the subject. MHO, JB

run91

Thanks

Thanks for the comments. I built the box out of foam board and used muslim for the cloth. I did not use any background except the box itself. The lighting was one 50 watt halogen par 30 flood and two 90 watt halogen par 38 flood. I was experimenting with the WB. With the comments I now can see about the prop being too much and I will crop it. The pen is an Artisan Areo made with acrylic.

phillywood

Thanks for the comments. I built the box out of foam board and used muslim for the cloth. I did not use any background except the box itself. The lighting was one 50 watt halogen par 30 flood and two 90 watt halogen par 38 flood. I was experimenting with the WB. With the comments I now can see about the prop being too much and I will crop it. The pen is an Artisan Areo made with acrylic.

Muslim is a person who believes in Islamic religion and i don't think they lay flat to allow something to lay on them for show, LOL , but I know what you meant.
I think you need to take the picture closer and bigger, then always work with a background that would highlights the color of your object.

Mark

As mentioned try and fill the frame with the pen, pencil, etc. Simply cropping the picture may not be the answer (attached a copy). Moving in closer with the camera will help a lot. Just my $.02

I like the color of the acrylic you chose. Very nice. :)

Attachments

• Clip.jpg
    Clip.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 79

Rfturner

It is a great start, make sure that your photos are centered, try to use macro settingsand the back round burl cap is fine as long as you try to move it just a little so that the pen shows better, Great job so far, you can also get tiles from home depot or a tile shop to have different backrounds

Top Bottom