First Perfect Fit and Desert Ironwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lenny

Two firsts for me .... I have always admired Desert Ironwood but only recently obtained a couple pieces. Decided to use it on my first Perfect Fit. Ever since seeing one Mack C posted I've wanted to give one a try. When PenMan1 said it was his Mont Blanc slayer that sealed it ... I had to get some!

Initially I had some questions which were discussed here ...
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f14/b-mandrel-perfect-fit-106099/

Had difficulty with the CA finish clouding up in a spot by the centerband that I didn't notice until after pressing it on. I was able to "grab" the centerband with the collet chuck, protecting it with a little masking tape, and pull it free so i could refinish it .... not once but TWICE!!! :rolleyes:

Comments and criticism welcome!
image.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Two firsts for me .... I have always admired Desert Ironwood but only recently obtained a couple pieces. Decided to use it on my first Perfect Fit. Ever since seeing one Mack C posted I've wanted to give one a try. When PenMan1 said it was his Mont Blanc slayer that sealed it ... I had to get some!

Initially I had some questions which were discussed here ...
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f14/b-mandrel-perfect-fit-106099/

Had difficulty with the CA finish clouding up
View attachment 87708
Hi Lenny; DI is one of many pen woods that doesn't require a finish. All I ever do is buff the wood using FORMAX's buffing compounds (sold by Caswell). Then I buff on a coat of Liberon or Carnuba wax.

I instruct my customer to wipe the pen off (if it gets cruddy from use) with a small amount of liquid dish detergent on a damp dish rag. That will take off the crud. It can then be polished with a clean flannel cloth to look like new again.

The buffed wood pen has a very warm feeling to the fingers and hand!

Your pen looks quite awesome. The Perfect Fit and Cigar pens are my most popular pens purchased by my customers.

Lenny

Thanks to everyone for the likes and comments.
Mack, I can see where the DI would be a good candidate for the "natural" finish. I may have to try that!

Last edited:
Top Bottom