First pens (how many still have them)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rdunn12

How many of you guys/gals have the first pen you ever made?This was my first pen made out of Maple and Redheart that were glued together for some flatwork.Had it laying around so I drilled it and made it my first pen.A slimline.

2008120182540_firstpen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

badger

Just found mine the other day. It's a walnut pen. hairline crack in the end of a tube, where I pressed the cap in too tight. Also a slimline.

My first was an olive wood european 8mm with parker refill. I pressed the transmission a little too far and can't close all the way... but I still carry and use it.. finish was HUT wax that has long since worn off.. still can smell the olive on a warmish day. The wood is getting dark from the oils and dirt from my hand.

rdunn12

I would rather be a little proud than a little shy.If you know what I mean.You can always turn down,but it is a little harder to turn up.:DRon.

gmcnut

Hi all,

Yes I still have the first pen I made. With some help from Bill Jacob. I had stopped by his home in Jerome, Idaho to see what his shop looked like and to get a little advise on what to buy and what not to buy. And when I left I had a nice Rhodium Patriot pen in Thuya burl and a care package of pen blanks. I still carry the pen and use it.

I still have the first few slimlines I turned.One cocobolo that I made in a class and the others at home. They have center bands, but the next several hundred or thousand have no center bands. I used the bands to make some necklaces. for my daughter.

Larry

RonSchmitt

My first one was "borrowed" from my desk at work, but I am still using the 2nd one I made. 24K cigar made of BOW. It's been beaten, battered and bruised, but still in service.

AJM

My first pen was a gold slimline made with curly maple. I made it on my drill press because I didn't have a lathe yet. I used a file and sandpaper to turn it to size. I put a wax on and buffed it for a finish. I still have it and I love the feel of the wood.

oryan72

I made mine from red oak and a slimline kit. No finish, i wanted to see what would happen over time. Course, I've only been turning since August, so I haven't had alot of time to lose it yet.

avbill

I still have my first pen a slimline I keep it for keepsake. But I still use my first acrylic Cigar pen ! its a moulded blue and gold on a gold finish. People still ask where I bought the pen. Its a great opener !

bill [:p]

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
I have a pen that I turned part of it. My teacher helped with it. The first one I made all by myself I gave to my son and he has a special place to keep it. It was black walnut with a Crystal Coat finish.

Sylvanite

Well, I guess I'm contrary to most, but my first pen is long gone - and good riddance. I generally find that whatever I'm proud of today, I'll be ashamed to have produced 5 years from now. With pens, that happened much more quickly. Quite honestly, I expect the trend to continue. My skills and standards have plenty of room for improvement.

Regards,
Eric

medemt

I just made my first pen this past Friday (1/18/08)at the Indianapolis wood show. CSUSA had three lathes set up and you could try your hand at pen making. It is a slimline and I don't even remember what the wood is. It is a reddish color with nice grain. Kirk from CSUSA gave me bit of instruction and turned me loose. took me an hour to do but I am so proud of it (also glad it turned out the way it did since I spent a fortune buying a lathe and other hardware. I'm going to put in a case and save it for posterity.

Man, I like turning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Federman

Still have and use mine. Lacewood Cigar, HUT PPP finish, can see the tool marks from when the skew got caught. Oh the good times!!!!

eskimo

Still got mine. My wife carries it. A Kingwood European I made in a Woodcraft class. It's always a good reminder of what I thought was "great" then vs what wouldn't see the light of day now.

Top Bottom