First pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm officially a penturner as of yesterday! I turned two slim lines. That was all the pen kits I had ( I made a quick run to Wood Craft)as my order from PennState hasn't arrived yet:( But I do have a bunch of blanks drilled and cut, ready to glue tubes in once they get here. Let me know what you think. I finished these with just Danish oil.(Rubbed in 3 coats ) I kind of like the matte finish I got but can't wait to try making some of the highly polished ones too! Got some friction polish and MM coming from Bill Bau

2005327223556_first2pens.jpg

mbeck.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

darbytee

Those look good, especially for first pens. You should go ahead and establish a penturning budget, probably about 20% of your net income. This will cover your new addiction until you decide to get into the more expensive kits and more exotic woods. Enjoy!!

They look real nice, but now get creative and change the shape so that no two are just alike,use your own personal touch and you will enjoy it more as they will be yours and not like any other.Best wishes.
Just Charlie

arehrlich

Great start! I really like the added lines on the top pen. I, too, like the softer finish of danish or tung oil.

But 20%... its only a dream. Great for the first week or two.

Keep going. Be creative, and don't be afraid to try new woods, kits and techniques. Its only your time... and your money. :)

Alan

Great starters. They just think that 20% is a joke, but most of us know that it a reality. LOL Penturning is the drug of choice and my habit is ever before me. just waiting for the LOML to try to make me go cold turkey.

melogic

Very nice pens. I reallylike the first one with the rings around it. My wife and daughter like doing the rings as well. And I agree with Alan and Marc......20% hahahahahahahaha! Tell my wife we have to keep the pen budget at 20% and I will be fixing my own meals for a long long time.

Skordog

Nice pens. Ditto on being daring enough to burn lines in on your first pen or two. As everyone else has already stated - be prepared to pour money down this deep hole. I have only been turning pens since Christmas but I think I have already spent close to $1,000. [xx(]

Seriously! [:D]

First order of pens was $120, next one was $220, the third one was $190. I bought a grinder and a new chisel. And of course wood, polish, drill bits.

On the plus side I have made about 40 people very happy by giving them pens. And it's nice to see those smiles.

Enjoy the ride, it's fun. And this is a great group to share with.

Hi...the "other" half of the almost-to-be Honeymooners :eek:) Mike used walnut-- I helped for about 1/16th of an inch I think LOL Someone on this site mentioned that walnut was a good 'starter' wood-- so that is what we went with, on top of having an abundance of it as well! hahaha

But let me brag on Mike for a minute!!! My 18 yr old son is impressed with his work-- just came in to get a pen to show his friends!! Imagine that!! And my soon-to-be son in law would like some for his groomsmen & might like to do some of the turning himself. Looks like we might ALL be a pen-turnin'-fool kinda family? hahaha My oldest is a teacher-so she's interested in some of the Dymondwood color-themed woods as well as the Teacher pen. BUT---the really fun news???

Mike was checking out at a nice department store yesterday--and he took some of yalls advice about how to 'market' the pen in a daily basis--so when asked if he needed a pen, he said "no thanks, I prefer this one-- I made it myself"...to which the salesman was impressed (he had the one with the lines) AND also at the counter was a buyer for their store...and SHE is interested in placing an order. So HOW BOUT THAT for his very first foray with his new 'addiction'??? So, keep your fingers crossed for us that that possible order will come to fruition!! Isn't that exciting?????? All that talent..and he's a good kisser too :eek:)

Connie

Tom McMillan

OK, You two----no kissing and turning at the same time---safety first--- LOL!! Wow, you'd think you were honeymooners or something. Good luck with the possible order though, and keep up the good work!! Great to hear of the family interest too!!

Our "20%" might be spent in duplicate tools--- one set at his house, one at mine so we can work at either place. It'll be a LONG time until we're in 'one place' (if we don't live together, we can probably stay married forever!! LOL) so that might be a good investment-- or at least have a second lathe. Or...might be good to keep the one at MY house-- will keep him coming up here? LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom