First Pen Turning!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scjohnson243

My "Starter Pack" from PSI came in yesterday and I finally got everything together and got a chance to make my first pen (But, its really a pencil)

pen.jpg

I did not have the correct sand paper to really give it a good polishing, ordering that today... its made of rosewood I believe (Thats the blanks that came with the kit)

I have 9 more kits to try to refine on it, I was really nervous to cut through the wood in the tube, so its a little big on the ends, I need to get more confident with the tools...

Anyway, nothing compared to what you guys are showing, but I was very happy for my first attempt using a lathe on anything =)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rockytime

Welcome to the group. For the first time turning your pen looks really good. I finished my fourth pen today. I bought a dozen slimlines to practice with. Each pen gets a little better and with each pen I learn something new.

OZturner

Excellent First, Steven.
Looks like you have been doing this for a long time.
As Kyrn said, keep it aside a look at it as you progress.
Great work.
Brian.

Krankyankee

at least you have the guts to post your first picture...I have done around 10 and still don't feel comfortable enough to post....nice job....

scjohnson243

Thanks Everyone, I see quite a few problems, a lot of thickness issues (I was scared I would dig too deep and start hitting tube soon), I also did not have any sandpaper except 150g and 300g, so its not sanded down very well... I need to get my tools sharper, I think - my next goal is to build a sharpening jig for my grinder, to try to get consistant grinds..

Again, thanks everyone for the kind words!

TDE

Good job Steven, Looks you're off to a good start. Glad you got all your stuff together. There will always be more to order.LOL Happy turning, Ted:)

Top Bottom