First Pen Stone blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penmaker134

I bought my first pen stone blank from penn state and plan on using the hourglass pen kit from pen state. I have a few questions about the pen stone. I also bought the right bits they recommended.

1. How hard is the stone to turn and what speed is recommended to turn it at.

2. When drilling the stone blank do you use any kind of cutting/cooling liquid
for the drill bit.

3. How bad is the dust and or smell when working with this blank.

4. Are these blanks prone to breaking and chipping easily.

I am just looking for a little insight because this would be my first pen stone and I would like this blank to come out looking amazing.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brotherdale

I have turned exactly one of these so I am no expert. But it was easy to drill with a brad point bit and was a bit brittle but turned fairly easy. I used carbide. You should wear some glasses. Mine turned out beautiful... then cracked when I pressed the pen together. I havent tried another one yet.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I have turned exactly one of these so I am no expert. But it was easy to drill with a brad point bit and was a bit brittle but turned fairly easy. I used carbide. You should wear some glasses. Mine turned out beautiful... then cracked when I pressed the pen together. I havent tried another one yet.

Did the final assembly go OK? :rolleyes:

ldb2000

these blanks are basically an acrylic made with stone dust and resin and as such turn very much the same as any other acrylic blank . They are a little more forgiving during drilling and turning but they are a bit more brittle during assembly so make sure the tube holes have a little extra clearance to allow pressing in the kit parts . I would also advise gluing in your tubes with an epoxy glue to fill gaps but not be brittle like a ca glue can be .

KenV

I have found that lightly reaming the ends of the tubes and carefully cleaning the inside of debris is really important with more brittle blanks like the "stone" replica blanks.

Have made a barely tight fit and used a toothpick of epoxy for assembly in some cases.

Gentle assembly is good.

Top Bottom