First pen solo!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scoutharps

Good Evening Everyone!

Well, I have done it! I have made my very first pen w/out help, which was also my first 2 part (top and bottom) pen, and my first ever pencil today! And they work! Details--WC American Classic in Bif Leaf Maaple. I used the Mylands Friction Polish for these. I need to learn the CA finish--if I understand it correctly, that will fill small voids in the wood, which this seems to be full of! It's not anything that I feel would make things unstable, but it does rather ruin the silky feeling of the pen.

So, I am off to research the CA finish routine. I can go to WC on Tuesday, and get some kits on sale. And I'm looking into Artisan FP kits as well. All this pen stuff is reminding me of when I wrote with a FP in Jr High. Not sure what ever happened to that pen, but it was a drug store plastic one.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Congratulations, you have many more ahead of you!

Never sell that or give it away. I still have my first pen I ever made and I would have killed myself now if I would have sold it. The only reason I retired it was because I was scared I was going to loose it. I had to track it down a few times by calling customers that I had let borrow it.

karlkuehn

Banned
Yeah, let's see it! I've been dying to see something made out of Bif Leaf Maaple! (I'm assuming that's the same tree that we normally see, only it grows in some Nether country; based on the spelling of course...)

Man, I sort of miss the 'less-kinder-gentler' Cav since he went moderator and wussed out on his grammatical quixoticicity. heh

I'd try to fill his old loafers, but I'd probably end up spending too much time churning through my own posts. :D

Pictures pictures pictures, man! They say a thousand words, and none of them misspelled! heh

stevers

Don't listen to them, congrats on your first solo projects. And welcome to the addiction, your ours now.[}:)]

Shame on you guys, picking on a newbie like that.[:p][:p][}:)]

karlkuehn

Banned
Shoot! I didn't even realize he was a noob!

Welcome, Scout! According to the Cav handbook, we have to wait two weeks before we start pickin' on you about yer spelling.

Search 'Cav' for more details, although he's a ghost of his former self these days...heh

MobilMan

Brian, Maybe scoutharps like me. I've never used a digital camera, and have read the "how to" posts on a few forums often but can't figure what they're talking about. The wife is fairly sharp on that stuff & maybe someday she'll read the info & give this dummy some help. She's pretty good with that camera.

scoutharps

Bif Leaf Maple: a very shy tree that often masqurades as its near cousin, the Boring Maple. Often seen in the keyboards of excitable newbies, this rare species makes for interesting, yet also shy pens and pencils. Despite it's shyness, it is willing to be whipped out and shown off to everyone withing 10 miles with (or without) the slightest sign of encouragement.

I only made the jump to digital camera a few months ago, and had a very basic ten dollar camera before that. I'll try to get some photos for you tomorrow. The table in the doughnut room at church is well lit from all sides, and a nice contrasting color to my Bif work.:D

Mark--where in Scotland are you? I am of Clan McLean of Duart.

constamj

Welcome Scout. As for Karl, don't mind him... while he is trying to fill Cav's shoes, what he doesn't realize is that he is in for the worst case of athletes’ foot ever.

scoutharps

I do feel wellcomed! Otherwise I wouldn't be asking all my questions. Now, I forgot the pictures at church, even though I had the pens and camera. But, I did take some outside today, on a nice grey rock. This was technically difficult as Lance decided I was kneeling down to play and love on him. Lance in a yellow lab (read hyperactive-thinks-he-is-a-kangaroo)who is convinced humans are petting and food machines! I was suffering from lathe withdrawal today. Screwed a block on the face plate, but it hits the banjo, so that will not work. I need some more brass tubes, or to learn how to turn without them. But I can't do it right now--BJ is standing over my shoulder wanting to look at some parady of Darth Vader on youtube! The joys of motherhood! But more to the point--how do I get the pictures out of my digital camera and onto the website? It is a Nikon Coolpix.

stevers

Your camera should have come with software. Usually a CD comes with the camera. You load the disc and it downloads the ness software to upload images from the camera. Then you doctor them to the right size and post them on the site. there are several ways to post photos. Use the "Help" feature and go to Photo Help.
Glad you feel welcome. I have been to some sites (not IAP) where they make you feel like an outsider. I take pride in how well this site treats it's new comers.
We were watching the Uekanuba dog thingie (whatever) on the animal planet yesterday. It was fun to watch some of the dogs dance and play before and after they showed. Theres' no better companion than a loyal, loving dog.

Top Bottom