First pen, first CA...well first everything!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tufftoy

I finally got all the tools and supplies I needed (at least for now) to complete my first pen! It's just as fun as I thought it would be, can't wait to start making more!

To my surprise, I posted it on Facebook, and I have 3 or 4 people wanting to buy some! What to sell them for if I decide to?

Thanks for looking
VoBlYwF.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tufftoy

It may be your first pen, but you have done some turning

Actually I haven't, I got a couple branches off of a tree, played with them for a couple days, and started the pen. I have done quite a bit of woodworking, but never have used a lathe! And thank you for the compliment!

plano_harry

Hi Scott, the pen looks good! If the wood was green, you might want to keep an eye on it for a while to make sure it doesn't crack. I typically sell bullets for $50 with a regular wood and an upgraded refill. You might get $60 with antler or a premium burl. $70 for a bolt action. Hope that helps.

With the upgraded refill, it will write better than a $400 Mont Blanc (and they don't offer a bullet!)

Welcome to the addiction:biggrin:

Harry

Tufftoy

I appreciate all the compliments! The wood I used was actually purchased off of Ebay as pen blanks, so they should be good to go...the limbs I used were just messing around getting a feel for my new lathe.

Where do you get the upgraded refills, or rather what type would you recommend? I have always liked writing with the gels over the ball points, so if I can upgrade with a gel that would be great!

Thanks again!

Bear-31

I've done a lot of research over the years about pricing your work. The question comes up on most boards at least once a month. There are lots of spreadsheets and fancy formulas to figure out the price...but in the end there is always at least one part that is a "guess" or opinion on your part. Most of the time it is what is your time worth and/or what is your skill level. What I have deduced from all my research is that it usually ends up somewhere between 2.5 and 3 times the price of materials.

Of course there are exceptions such as dealing with friends and family (discounts), and the WOW factor of the object you just completed that might demand a higher asking price.

In the end it's all about, is this a business (to make money) or a hobby that you just care about paying for materials or breaking even.

Great job on your first pen...the sky is the limit once you see the pens created on IAP.

I forgot to add that this book in particular helped quite a bit. The Woodworker's Guide to Pricing Your Work - by Dan Ramsey, Danny Proulx

Last edited:

Tufftoy

Thank you Bear-31. Like you said, it's more a hobby for now, but if I could break even I would be pleased...at least for now!

RMayoIII

Nicely done! Imo, the dark wood and pen plating compliment each other very well. If it were one of my pens I'd ask no less than $60.

Top Bottom