first pen..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ambidex

Am pretty new to this group..just turned my first pens yesterday..going back to woodcraft as i was dumb enough to only get 2 kits..am waiting on an order of 40 to come in tomorrow,but can't wait to turn some more..what have I done:eek:...this is truly addicting..:).one is brazilian rosewood and the other is curly maple..both have satin finishes[formby's]..both are a touch proud of the hardware..any advice or comments are very welcome..Thanks to all in advance!!

002.jpg

001.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

marksman

If you are addicted already, wait until you cruise this forum for a while. You will be exposed to some unbelievable creativity which will only add to the addiction. Warn your wife and kids (if applicable) that you will be spending a lot of time in the shop. One way to soften that is to tell them that you are doing it so that you can sell the pens and take them on a nice vacation or something :biggrin: Welcome aboard and nice job!

BSea

Nice pens. I really like the curly maple. That sure is a whiter maple than what I'm used to. I couldn't figure out what it was till I read the full post. Hopefully, you bought more than 40 slim lines. The larger pens really grow on you once yuou've done a couple.
One way to soften that is to tell them that you are doing it so that you can sell the pens and take them on a nice vacation or something.
:rotfl::rotfl: . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Oh, were you serious about that?!?!?!? My wife would be thrilled if I could just sell enough to pay for what I buy.:rolleyes:

MarkD

Welcome to the addiction. Nice first pens! Like others have said, hang on to them. Following this forum and practice, practice, practice... a few months from now you will be amazed at how far you have come. You also might warn the Post Office. They may need to add another truck soon!

Carl Fisher

No use warning him now. He's already hooked :)

Nice first pens. Take them and put them somewhere safe to look back on as the ones that started it all.

G1Pens

Two very nice pens....especially for your first stab at it. You will be turning a lot and will be amazed at how fast you progress and how badly you need another fix !!

Ambidex

pens..

oh lord..the slippery slope has got me..just spent 3 hours trying to cut and glue tapered pieces to create a pen...was gonna do a 30 degree taper and then realized..I might be goin too fast:confused:..gotta go back to basic geometry..but already thinking I need a new tool...something to cut accurate and exacting bevels and degree cuts..my pm 66 with the zero clearance is NOT the answer...:rolleyes:..oh Lord..what have I done?? :smile-big:

They look great. may I suggest something I am starting, and with good results? try dying the curly maple, next time I mean, with any sort of dye, Transtint, or if you are cheap, Food coloring and vinegar. It will look great

Ambidex

tint

Will give that a try...was thinking the grain in the maple was too nice not to be seen better..thanks for the tip..could you tell me where to get transtint?

Top Bottom