First Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hillbilly

I know you all talked about patients and practice but I couldnt stand it. I was going to turn somthing TODAY, NOW. My chisel set didnt get here til noon. I already had the wood mounted in the lathe and waiting I thought if the chisel set didnt come today I was just going to sharpen a screw driver and use that.

The only practice I had, I turned a piece of oak into a spindle so I could mount it into my drill press and use that to press my pens together. It worked good.

I had no problem turning. The cocobolo wood turned pretty easy. When I got down to where I was about 1/8 I used the skew and then stopped at 1/32 bigger than the bushings.

Sanding wasnt a problem, it was the easiest part. But when I added the CA with the wax paper it all went to hell. I should have just polished it up with some wax and left the CA alone.

I added 1 thin coat then sanded with 1200 or 1500 micro mesh just to dull it up and added another coat and waited for it to cure. When I started tring to finish it everything look good until I put on the wax and waited for that mirro shine. It came out a little cloudy with some shiny groves down in the grain. So I tried to sand it all off and try again and again and again so now I have a pic of my first dull over turned slimline.

Attachments

• IMG_1764_600x450.JPG
    IMG_1764_600x450.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 323
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Don Farr

congrats....A lot better than my first. The finish will get easier as you go. I like the fact that you made a true slimline. Most folks are afraid to take off the wood and make a fat slimline. I did.:redface:

I know you all talked about patients and practice but I couldnt stand it. I was going to turn somthing TODAY, NOW. My chisel set didnt get here til noon. I already had the wood mounted in the lathe and waiting I thought if the chisel set didnt come today I was just going to sharpen a screw driver and use that.

Don't laugh, I've done that:tongue:... I have a couple of screwdrivers sharpened that I've used in my turnings. Plus a little narrow wood chisel.:cool::cool:

Oh yeah, that's a nice first pen... keep it as a memento... I still have the first pen I made.

Last edited:

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly

Don't laugh, I've done that:tongue:... I have a couple of screwdrivers sharpened that I've used in my turnings. Plus a little narrow wood chisel.:cool::cool:

Oh yeah, that's a nice first pen... keep it as a memento... I still have the first pen I made.

Definitely a good first effort!

Sharpened screwdriver? What else would you use to cut tenons????? :) I have one for tenons and one sharpened to a point for marking the tenon and for making decorative grooves.

Tn-Steve

:biggrin:Who needs Robert Sorby when you've got screwdrivers. :biggrin: That's a great first attempt, and believe me, with all the good advice here you'll be able to grow your skill like you won't believe.

I'm actually thinking now that I may take Cav's idea, turn down a screwdriver to the width of a tendon and take a bit of a time-consuming step out of the process.

As for the CA finish, you will find about 897 ways to do it here, (and that's just on the first page of a search). It all boils down to "Get it on, get it smooth, get it polished". All the rest is just details. I'm just now getting one that seems to work well for me.

Welcome to the insanity,

Steve

J

jackrichington

I concur with Carl..geez..I'd hate to see a gallery of firsts...UGH

Rangertrek

Nice 1st Pen

Your first looks better than my 1st. I still have mine in the pen case just to see how I have imporved over time. I recently finished my 150th pen. Enjoy the hobby, this is a gret site to learn the craft.
Re: the ca finish, I have tried many methods, just find the one that works for you and practice!

marcruby

I'm impressed. Especially using a skew right off. I suspect that if we didn't always complain about how diffult a skew is to learn a lot more of us would have mastered the skew by now.

Marc

furini

Nice first pen - a better job than my first one which has never been photographed...and never will be!

Cheers

Stewart

:biggrin:Who needs Robert Sorby when you've got screwdrivers. :biggrin: That's a great first attempt, and believe me, with all the good advice here you'll be able to grow your skill like you won't believe.

I'm actually thinking now that I may take Cav's idea, turn down a screwdriver to the width of a tendon and take a bit of a time-consuming step out of the process.

Steve

I don't know now where I got it, but I have a little wood chisel about 3/8" wide that I use for my tenons.. My first pens were the European styles that required the tenon and I think I already had the chisel and just sharpened it.
I've also sharpened a couple of screw drivers, but don't use them as much anymore.

That makes me laugh. I had 2-3 days to wait on my 1st set of chisels. I went to the wal-mart craft section and bought carving chisels with one inch blades. I then sat indian style on my front porch with my hand drill, chop saw and new grizzley lathe. I can't even tell you how hard it was to wait for the glue to dry before I could use sand paper layed on the concrete to face my barrels. Oh yes, I understand impatience. And after all this time, I am still miserably addicted.

DurocShark

Nothing wrong with a slightly overturned pen. I have a couple that I and others actually like writing with.

Looks pretty good to me.

nevetsw18

my first is hidden in my sock drawer, i agree with whoever mentioned the fat first slimline, mine resembles a short cigar pen :redface:

Top Bottom