First Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave_M

Thanks to all the great info posted out here, I finally turned my first pen. I've been lurking off and on for about 8 months and I finally decided to jump in and give it a try. This one is made from Cocobolo with the Rockler slim line black titanium kit.

I learned a lot on my first try at turning a pen. Now that I have a better understanding of the process, the next one will hopefully go faster and I'll only use one blank. I went through two blanks to get this one just right. I wonder if I should have turned it to a lightly smaller diameter.

My photo skills are not top notch, but the color in the pen is rich and goes great with the black titanium finish. I'm pleased with my first product overall.

Thanks again.

2007916193640_IMG0941.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rhahnfl

Is that Dymondwood? If so, it isn't hard to blow one out if you are not careful. I blew up some Dymondwood and was doing everything right... it just caught an edge on the pen mill and blam!! I think it looks great for a first pen. CONGRATS!!!

stevers

Dave, it looks great. Slightly overturned at the bushings, but not bad at all. If you have checked your bushings and they are of correct size, don't be afraid to turn down to the bushings. Thats what they are for.
Like Steve said, great job on your first pen. Wish my first would have looked that good. I didn't find this site till a couple of months into my pen addiction.

Dave_M

Thanks for the comments. That's one of the biggest issues I had. How far is too far? I was concerned that going down to the bushings would leave me short for sanding & finishing, but after all said & done, I could have taken it down more. So down to the bushings is generally what I want to do?

I didn't clamp my first blank properly nor did I put a piece of wood underneath when drilling. I certainly knew better, but... I don't have a good excuse. The Cocobolo split along the grain just as the bit broke through.

Barrel trimmer was a pain in the backside. I found it easier to turn the blank first and then with the bench top sander sand it just short of the tube. Then I used the trimmer by hand to square up the last little bit.

Originally posted by stevers
<br />Dave, it looks great. Slightly overturned at the bushings, but not bad at all. If you have checked your bushings and they are of correct size, don't be afraid to turn down to the bushings. Thats what they are for.
Like Steve said, great job on your first pen. Wish my first would have looked that good. I didn't find this site till a couple of months into my pen addiction.

gerryr

Very nice for your first pen. One thing, though, this is where we talk about penturning. Pens we made go in Show Off Your Pens.

stevers

That's right Dave. If your bushings are the correct size, turn them down to them. That's why they make them the same size as the kit components. Some of us who use a film type finish, will actually use bushing that are slightly worn to allow for the finish. The worn bushing will let the barrels be turned slightly small so the finish will, hopefully, bring it back up to the correct size. It takes time to learn the diff kits you use.
Time and repetition are the best teachers. And these guys and gals here can be pretty darned helpful too.

Fred

Very nice choice of wood. Cocobolo is one of my favorites as, so far, I ain't allergic to it and hope I don't ever get that way.
Great job! Keep up the good work. [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom