First Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jmpugsley

My first pen. I thought pen turning, at first blush, would be pretty simple. I was wrong! This is a Woodcraft Wall Street II click pen kit. Olive wood, sanded to 240, sanding with the grain before going to the next grit down. BLO and CA finish, with paste wax last. A gift for my wife. The tip would not retract completely. Had to sand a bit of the end off the click end of the pen insert. I see a lot of things that I could improve upon. I see now that there is more to this activity than meets the eye.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    217 KB · Views: 187
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

Beautiful start. You're a natural turner. The refill advancing too much/too little.
...... you'll get the hang of that fairly quickly. We learn from each error. Have fun. Welcome to IAP.

mecompco

Welcome to the forum! Your pen looks really nice. Nice that you started with something other than a Slimline like lots of noobs do (myself included). I love turning single barrel pens. Slimlines are a real challenge to get perfect. Keep up the good work--I still learn something from most every pen I make.

Regards,
Michael

jmpugsley

Thanks everyone. I was too cheap to buy the bushings, so I turned a set that fit inside the tube. Used calipers for sizing. I can see where metal bushings would be a fine addition to the process.

WriteON

Thanks everyone. I was too cheap to buy the bushings, so I turned a set that fit inside the tube. Used calipers for sizing. I can see where metal bushings would be a fine addition to the process.

Bushings speed up the turning however Calipers are fine and probably more accurate if you do not mind the process.

Top Bottom