First Laminate

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

DocRon

Hi.

This is my first attempt at a laminated blank. It is oak with walnut veneer, sealed and finished with CA-BLO. Still having a little trouble with out-of-round blanks due to the #$#%% mandrel.
I made the blank by cutting "random" wavy sections on a scroll saw, which gives the unpredictable pattern.

2006111172438_lam1aw.jpg

200611117254_lam1bw.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

The out of round problem, is that something you feel while the wood is turning or are you talking about where the nib and the finial meet the wood?

DocRon

Originally posted by Skye
<br />The out of round problem, is that something you feel while the wood is turning or are you talking about where the nib and the finial meet the wood?

Skye
I generally can't feel it, but when I get down to the final fitting, sometimes it shows up. This is independant of my lack of skill mating the sizes properly. I have the mandrell adjusted as well as I can, and it seems to run pretty true, but sometimes doesn' quite make it. It is not too noticeable on this particular pen, I don't think. All the past discussions on this forum have been very helpful. Maybe a collet chuck is in my future, I hope. [:p]

Skye

Also, dont forget your bushings may be out of round. I've got a little bend to my mandrel sometimes, that or I just dont insert the MT straight enough. Regardless the pens always come out good. I think that bad bushings may be part of your problem, just a shot in the dark though.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
NIce results on your first attempt.
if you presue it you will find the results are not as unpredictable as you think, but there are still surprises[:D]

DocRon

Originally posted by Skye
<br />Also, dont forget your bushings may be out of round. I've got a little bend to my mandrel sometimes, that or I just dont insert the MT straight enough. Regardless the pens always come out good. I think that bad bushings may be part of your problem, just a shot in the dark though.

Skye
Had not thought of that. This pen was turned with a combination of old (several years) and brand-new bushings. I will check! Thanks.
Doc Ron

bananajeep

Nice pen!

I sometimes have a problem getting the mandrel to center properly in the head stock. I have tried this the last couple of time with good success. I loosely place the mandrel into the head stock then advance the tail stock in to seat the mandrel with the lathe running at slow speed. Things line up much better. Also, in the past I used to tighten the nut on the mandrel too much which put a very slight bow in the mandrel which resulted in off center turning which didn't line up with the pen components very well. Now I tighten the nut just enough to keep the blanks from free spinning.

Hope some of this info helps someone

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom