First PR Pen this weekend

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scjohnson243

WOW...

I tried my first PR Blank this weekend and talk about different... I miss how easy wood turns compared to it! I had a blowout on one of the tubes just as I was coming into the home stretch, but I think I figured out why - I realized when I was drilling the hole it looks like my bit had a little wobble and it made the hole larger on one end, so when I got there with my gouge it just broke off.. I shoudl have realized it, but just didn't think about it.

It was a pretty red/black blank, and I had pink "confetti" all over me and the lathe, floor, shelf before it was finished... I sharpened my tools just before starting, and still could only take a little bit off per run up and down.. Is that normal?

Anyway, I went ahead and polished it up and put it in a pen kit I had started to see what it would look like, and it was beautiful... Just wish My holes were drilled better!..

I ordered the dedicated pen blank drilling chuck late last week, hopefully that will be in soon and I can try again, this time on a cigar pen kit...

Large Dedicated Pen Blank Drilling Chuck at Penn State Industries

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Signguy

Not sure why you are having trouble. I find that PR is the easiest material to turn, just flies off the chisel in long ribbons and you can easily get a finish that needs almost no sanding.

Maybe you need to change tools? I use my EWT chisels on it.

MikeinSC

I also enjoy turning the PR blanks I've been making from castin Craft. At first, I didn't like the plastic blanks at all, but now I enjoy them even more so. For me, the biggest difference was when I made an adjustment to how I cut. I take light passes and do not rush it at all. I get a better, smoother cut without the chipouts.
Drilling is small cuts as well and backing out the drill bit often to keep the shavings clear. When the bit is abiut to come out the other end, I go very slowly. That has also minimized the blowouts from the drill bits. Cutting the blanks oversized helps as well to minimize the damage and it leaves enough room for error.

preacherman

I like poly resin. I cast my own and love the way they turn. Did you cast these or were they purchased blanks? If they were home cast blanks I suspect they may have had a little too much MEKP. That will make them brittle. Once round the blank should not have "confetti" it should be nothing but ribbons.

As with any plastic material sharp tools are a must. I don't use a gouge for my poly resin blanks. I use a spindlemaster tool. My blanks start off round because I cast them in pvc pipe. Just take your time and do not try to take off too much material in a single pass.

scjohnson243

They were blanks I bought.. I will try to resharpen and give it another shot soon - I guess I was just expecting as much material to come off every pass as i do with softer woods...

Jim Burr

Banned
The pen chuck is unnecessary, any chuck will do and spigot jaws that have loads of other uses work great for holding pen blanks. And any other chuck can be used for other turning projects...not just blanks.

Quality Pen

I remember considering that pen chuck, but ultimately I am very glad I didn't. It is not, IMO, a good investment! Also, I heard "some" mixed reviews (but that will always happen hehe... well except maybe with a NOVA chuck -- those are always good!)

Top Bottom