First Fountain Pen......Which one?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BlackPearl

Boy I know I am going to get a lot of different answers on this but......here goes.

I have been making pens since the summer, I have a Wall Street kit that I like very much and two matching blanks (I got three) I would like to make a fountain pen to go with this pen so I will have a set.

Now the question is what fountain pen kit should I start with? Do all the kits require the same amount of skill or are some harder than others? Additionally I have my Great Grandfathers, Grandfathers and Fathers fountain pens and would like to have the one that represents me be made by me, to go to my son.

I have a Sterling Silver Parker BP and FP and a Mont Blank set but I would like my "Historical" representative be hand made.

Any suggestions? In this group that is a dumb question.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

G1Pens

To me, the actual turning and assembly of a fountain pen is no different from any other pen. If you have done any rollerballs, you have basically done a fountain pen...the only difference is the nib.

It all depends on the quality you are looking for and the size of the pen you want.

SDB777

I personally like the diameter of the Baron/Sedona FP/RB kits....but that might not be the thing for you?

Yup, I'll pile on, a kit pen is a kit pen, whether it be FP, RB, on Ballpoint....turning, sanding, finishing is the same.

Scott (they just cost more) B

BSea

One of my favorite kits is the Retro Jr. It's the same size as the Jr. Gent, but it's a little more stylish IMHO. I'd build a few before you make one for the generations though. And you might want something a little more high end. Maybe, an Emperor, or Jr. Emperor, or one of the Marksman pens. There are lots of choices. Then again, you might want to make a kitless one down the road. That would really be one that was unique to you.

StephenM

The Navigator from Woodcraft is nice because you can't confuse the top and bottom of the top barrel (like you can with the Tycoon from PSI - DAMHIKT)

The bushings fit on a regular sized mandrel and it's an all around nice looking pen.

76winger

You're going to have to get a few into your hands and experience how they feel to you before you make a decision about what you would call "your pen" I've now made several FPs now from different pen styles (mostly PSI variations) including the Designer, Olympian, Apollo, Tycoon, Nouveau Sceptre and Majestic (full size).

My preferences:
For a pen using the smaller nib, I tend to like the Tycoon because it's light weight, the cap posts by threads and there's something about the 6-sided gripping area (name that part) that I like the feel of.
For a larger pen using the larger nib, my favorite is the Apollo Infinity. This one, whether rollerball or Fountain Pen, just fits my hand perfectly and feels like it was made for me. The gripping area is sized right and has rounded edges, which I like, where some are more squared off. Weight and balance is also good and it's lighter in weight that the Majestic and Nouveau Sceptre lines.

I'm not as familiar with the better pens from others yet, but hope to expand and try some others soon. Others on here probably know the equivalents for them if you nee to know.

But my point is there's a lot of different pen kits out there and before you make one that you want to consider your own signature pen to pass down (and I'm assuming you'll be using it as well) you need to try out a few first. Either make several different ones until you find what you like or hook up with someone local who's got some in stock so you can see and hold them before you make commitment. Any local IAP meetings in your area?

ETA: If had to choose just one, my own choice would be the Apollo at my current level of experience, who knows as I try more!

Going of the title of this thread, What to make for your *first* Fountain pen, I'd recommend sticking with one of the smaller kits available around the $10-12 mark. You'll get a decent pen (or two!) and experience without the bigger investment from a Majestic/Emperor class pens. Those can be done after you get your feet wet.

Last edited:

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
David: That, sir, would be known as the section! :alien:
You're going to have to get a few into your hands and experience how they feel to you before you make a decision about what you would call "your pen" I've now made several FPs now from different pen styles (mostly PSI variations) including the Designer, Olympian, Apollo, Tycoon, Nouveau Sceptre and Majestic (full size).

My preferences:
For a pen using the smaller nib, I tend to like the Tycoon because it's light weight, the cap posts by threads and there's something about the 6-sided gripping area (name that part) that I like the feel of.
For a larger pen using the larger nib, my favorite is the Apollo Infinity. This one, whether rollerball or Fountain Pen, just fits my hand perfectly and feels like it was made for me. The gripping area is sized right and has rounded edges, which I like, where some are more squared off. Weight and balance is also good and it's lighter in weight that the Majestic and Nouveau Sceptre lines.

I'm not as familiar with the better pens from others yet, but hope to expand and try some others soon. Others on here probably know the equivalents for them if you nee to know.

But my point is there's a lot of different pen kits out there and before you make one that you want to consider your own signature pen to pass down (and I'm assuming you'll be using it as well) you need to try out a few first. Either make several different ones until you find what you like or hook up with someone local who's got some in stock so you can see and hold them before you make commitment. Any local IAP meetings in your area?

ETA: If had to choose just one, my own choice would be the Apollo at my current level of experience, who knows as I try more!

Going of the title of this thread, What to make for your *first* Fountain pen, I'd recommend sticking with one of the smaller kits available around the $10-12 mark. You'll get a decent pen (or two!) and experience without the bigger investment from a Majestic/Emperor class pens. Those can be done after you get your feet wet.

ctubbs

I personally like the look and feel of the Triton FP from Exotic Blanks. Like you said, several thousand members = several thousand answers.

Good luck on your first FP. But, you better make two of them, one for the generations and the other for your daily carry. It will spoil you for those BPs. DAMHIKT

Charles

76winger

David: That, sir, would be known as the section! :alien:

My preferences:

Thanks Joe, I need to think of it as the Section you hold and maybe I'll remember it! :biggrin:

Top Bottom