First few Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kglass

Hi Everyone,
Just started turning Pens a few weeks ago or so. Gathering material was a learning experience. The bushings thing seems cumbersome at best. I am turning on a powermatic 3520B and have been woodturning HF's, bowls, Vases, platters , etc for several years. This is my first attempt at Pen turning and I think it could become an addiction as most wood turning is. The site is a huge source of info and I will use it extensively. Here are a few of my first attempts. There are several wood species including: Bethlehem Olive Wood, Cocobolo, Buckeye Burl, White and Black Ebony, White Oak Burl and a Vietnam Service Metal inlay in a Manhattan Pen Kit with curly Maple. I had a brainstorm (which doesn't happen often) and decided to make a Pen Stand from a Maple Burl Cap I had in the shop.
Your comments and critiques are welcome.

Attachments

• DSCF3473.jpg
    DSCF3473.jpg
    332.2 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kglass

Is this the right place to post this or should it be moved somewhere else? I don't see many pens shown on this thread? If so, tell me where or have the moderator move it please. Thanks

walshjp17

Great looking pens. The burl cap is a beautiful idea for a stand ... especially if it is too small for any other type of turning. Well done.

Is this the right place to post this or should it be moved somewhere else? I don't see many pens shown on this thread? If so, tell me where or have the moderator move it please. Thanks

SOYP (Show off Your Pens) is the place to post these.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Nice group of pens, Ken - love that stand.
What kind of finish did you put on the stand?

Show Off Your Pens would probably be the best forum for such a post or even Other Things We Make since the stand is almost more prominent than the pens.

Welcome to the vortex
Edgar

kglass

Thanks for all the nice comments. I had several of these Maple Burl Caps and made several bowls from them, but just decided this one would be best used as a Pen stand. The finish on the Stand is merely 8-10 coats of Satin Lacquer. Most of the Pens were CA glued 7-8 coats sanded with Abranet mesh then Micro Mesh to 12,000. How well does the micro mesh finish hold up over time?

kglass

Keith,
I do have extra Maple Burl Caps, but I use them also for turned bowls, HF's and then sell them at Galleries. There are several listed on eBay right now and often sell for under $25.

Top Bottom